Home > Trip Reports > November 9, 2002, Chinook Pass MRNP

November 9, 2002, Chinook Pass MRNP

11/9/02
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 11/9/02 12:30am
Noodles and I met 7am Enumclaw ,our mission was to scout For new snow at Chinook Pass.Things didn't look so good on way up but at the Log bridge we parked and found 12" of fresh. Hmm ? We just happened to have tele skis in the car so we walked back south to the west facing glades under Naches peak. Lots of hidden bumps rocks and snags. We took 3 runs just to figure out that we needed about another foot or so to be safe. Did I mention that it snowed the whole time we were there ?
I filled "Ullars beer cooler" full of snow for the Tacoma Mountaineers ski tune party.
I don't know many here are into XC but a good tour right now would be around the summer loop of Naches Peak .Also suppose Grand park XC tour timing would be good.
Thanks for the report Robie.  Ron and I are hiking today and still checking out new areas for skiing.  Heading up to Snoqualmie and will hike around Mt Catherine.  

Everyone is getting very excited about the new snow.  Gotta keep a good eye out for those hidden snags  8)  those can really tear up a good pair of skis.  Maybe the snow won't be as wild next weekend.  

Gotta keep a good eye out for those hidden snags  8)  those can really tear up a good pair of skis.

A good pair of knees, too, if you are a tele skier (I know, yet another reason to go AT).

I've been wearing my knee pads. This new snow is heavy.

Reply to this TR

november-9-2002-chinook-pass-mrnp
Robie
2002-11-09 08:30:59