Home > Trip Reports > Feb 3, 2017, Santa Fe, Lake Peak, Nambe Chute

Feb 3, 2017, Santa Fe, Lake Peak, Nambe Chute

2/3/17
Posted by skykilo on 2/3/17 5:21am
Good solo half-day tour today.  Can't believe I hadn't done this chute, although this aspect is usually not the ticket in these parts.  My new favorite quick access local backcountry line when it's in shape!  Drive 15.5 miles to parking lot at 10,300 ft.  Red is uphill, green is downhill, conditions are really great.  Saw a group of six heading toward top of Lake Peak as I was skiing from it.  Good edge-holding firm with shady pow pockets in the W-SW facing chute.  Pow in the trees down to the Winsor Trail.

Access like that would be great but I don't know about the solo chute tagging. 

No Pictures?

Drew, yo buddy!  Hope all is well.

Edgesport, it's tricky with two boys under three years old.  My would-be ski buddies (not very many in the first place) are really only interested in all-day type ski trips, which I mostly avoid right now.  When I do something like this by myself I can get a full wilderness adventure and be home in no time.  I'll probably run up there to lap a groomer after I put Kaj to bed tonight.

Jtack, I thought about taking a camera but it's got me down that there's a spot on the sensor of my NEX7.  I need to learn how to clean it or find and charge my point and shoot.  Would have loved to get a couple illustrative shots.  One neat thing about this tour is you get a perfect view from across the valley directly into the chute around the 12,000 ft high point on Raven's Ridge duringthe climb.

author=tabski link=topic=37797.msg153291#msg153291 date=1486229742]
High Sky
x2

NEX-5N user here.. you can buy a sensor cleaning kit for maybe $10-20. It is a little harrowing but not bad. KISS principles, and don't treat it like it's a dirty kitchen sink that needs scrubbing. I clean mine maybe once a year now, even though it gets stuff on it, most of the time you can blow it off with air or whatnot.

Can't remember if you were smart phoned or not...always my backup camera if the battery isn't dead.  Have to admit though, lost one to precip up in the hills, so now I plastic bag it.

Edgesport brings up the risk issue...what's a dad to do? Battle schedules with the kid-less, go poke around and make the call on site, or through in the towel?  I vote for poke around and wear a helmet.

Nice work Sky.

Sick line Sky.

Reply to this TR

feb-3-2017-santa-fe-lake-peak-nambe-chute
skykilo
2017-02-03 13:21:09