Home > Trip Reports > February 2, 2017, Snow Lake Lunch Circumnavigation

February 2, 2017, Snow Lake Lunch Circumnavigation

2/2/17
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by gscruggs on 2/2/17 1:31pm
This is the much lazier lunch tour, not to be confused with the Chair Peak circumnavigation. I headed up early afternoon to enjoy a last glimpse of the Cascades before we get snowed in (about time) and toast to Punxsutawney Phil's declaration that we'll have six more weeks of winter.

Shortly after arriving in Lot 4, a half-dozen King County sheriff and FS ranger vehicles showed up. Was there a backcountry bandit on the loose? Nah, just survival training for local law enforcement.

They sure picked a cold day. Wind was whipping, as forecasted, and definitely loading north-facing aspects. The descent down to Snow Lake on skier's left was a bit sketchy with some serious slabs -- enough to make me reconsider even dropping all the way to the lake.

I made it, though, and caught some late afternoon sun for my lunch break. The views were spectacular in every direction and I looped around Snow Lake in a vain effort to stay warm and eyeball some of the terrain up close that I had only previously seen on Google Earth.

The half-moon was poking out by the time I crested the Snow Lake/Source Lake divide ridge, then time for some survival skiing (sadly so, no wonder this is the first trip report for February) down to the access road.

Still beat having lunch at my kitchen table.

Nice. And I bet the  ski out even beat hiking out on the hard summer  trail on a crowded August day.

Brings back lots of fond memories of the area...   Nice report and pic's.

Got cliffed out once in a major way on a cloud/foggy descent off of Snow Lake.

Reply to this TR

february-2-2017-snow-lake-lunch-circumnavigation
gscruggs
2017-02-02 21:31:01