Avalanche at Hurricane Ridge

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
30 Jan 2017 09:25 #153072 by telemack
Avalanche at Hurricane Ridge was created by telemack
There was a skier-triggered slide on the north side of Maggie's Run at Hurricane Ridge Saturday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2017 12:58 #153090 by niko
Replied by niko on topic Re: Avalanche at Hurricane Ridge
I'm glad you were not hurt, Sean. The third map suggests it was the area between our first and second runs last week: W face? What do you think, Mack, Runcle? N

• BCSchonwald
  • [BCSchonwald]
More
01 Feb 2017 14:38 #153206 by BCSchonwald
Replied by BCSchonwald on topic Re: Avalanche at Hurricane Ridge

There was a skier-triggered slide on the north side of Maggie's Run at Hurricane Ridge Saturday.

First I am glad you are ok and thank you for sharing!

Second, Moderate means, 'Heightened avalanche conditions on specific terrain features..'

Looking at the telemetry,Mod to Strong winds out of the S/SE persisted from early on the 27th-29th with consistent averages of 15-20 mph. Also in the forecast:

A report from Klahane Ridge via the NWAC Observations page on Sunday indicated wind loading on the N slopes at 6000 feet....

Detailed Forecast for Saturday:
Older wind slabs have had the week to settle and strengthen and will no longer be listed as a specific avalanche problem. Any lingering older wind slabs should be confined to specific steep terrain features above treeline and will continue to stabilize Saturday. Continue to watch for recent wind effects below ridgelines and avoid steep slopes with obvious signs of recent wind loading.

Looking at your video, this looks like a wind slab given its overall depth. They are tricky when strong winds move the slab problem lower down slope. I have triggered wind slabs @Hurricane much further down slope than I expected.

Did you report this to NWAC? Caught and carried still helps the forecasters dial in the avalanche hazard when it is reported. I will be up Friday to have a look around.

More
01 Feb 2017 15:40 #153207 by RonL
Replied by RonL on topic Re: Avalanche at Hurricane Ridge
Thanks for the input on windslabs at hurricane. I skipped out on going up there with my kids based on the wind forecast just because of the impact to their fun/comfort meter. I will have keep it in mind for my tour planning as well.

I don't want to drag this into the table mtn discussion but a ski cut at the top of the run may not have revealed this one.

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
01 Feb 2017 21:43 #153216 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: Avalanche at Hurricane Ridge

Did you report this to NWAC?

It was already on NWAC Jan. 28 when a friend sent it to me b/c we had skied the same slopes 6 days before on January 22 (see TR). I posted it here for the folks who ski HR, but was not there Jan. 28.

I hope to get up there Friday too :)

• BCSchonwald
  • [BCSchonwald]
More
02 Feb 2017 11:40 #153234 by BCSchonwald
Replied by BCSchonwald on topic Re: Avalanche at Hurricane Ridge
Thx Telemack, see you up there!

More
04 Feb 2017 01:41 #153287 by jtack
Replied by jtack on topic Re: Avalanche at Hurricane Ridge
Yet another sobering reminder, thanks for the report.

More
16 Feb 2017 18:56 #153699 by rlsg
Replied by rlsg on topic Re: Avalanche at Hurricane Ridge
WOW...that is significant...way to dodge that one...

More
17 Feb 2017 11:05 #153710 by niko
Replied by niko on topic Re: Avalanche at Hurricane Ridge
FWIW Last Sunday we skied the Klahhane couloir (3" powder on icy crust; some avy debris) and set off a number of wet slides on the south side, skiing back from the saddle to the trailhead: not large enough to bury you but sufficient to do some harm if you're not careful. N