Home > Forum > January 27, 2017 Mt. Shasta Ski Park

January 27, 2017 Mt. Shasta Ski Park

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 Jan 2017 11:03 #228503 by Zap
The access road to the ski area is off highway 89, southeast of I-5, and is a 4.5 mile drive to the ski area. You can RV park in the lowest parking lot; get a permit in the Guest Services office, no charge. We were with the first folks when the lifts started at 9am. The groomers were fantastic (although the grooming wasn't great). The base is at 5500 feet and the summit is at 6880 feet.

The first photo is Black Butte from the highway. Just west of Mt. Shasta and very close to I-5 is Black Butte, summit 3917 feet. It is snow-covered around the Summit and we saw great powder lines on the northwest side. This is the first time I've seen this on this side, and on a sunny day. It is the small things that you see that you remember.

The second photo is the view from Douglas Butte at 6608 of Coyote Butte with the upper lift and Mt. Shasta is the background. When we backcountry ski we start at Bunny Flats and have skied the ridges that you can see in the photo. It is also a view of the former site of the Mt. Shasta ski area. Also, beyond Coyote Butte is Grey Butte, a destination for backcountry folks. We met a woman who was planning to ski there this morning. The lifts give you a nice start for a tour. It was a nice sunny day with the powder warming.

The third photo has nothing to do with skiing but I noticed a “sloughing” of the snow banks along the road. The “grader” cut the wall vertical and the last storm had a rain event that froze the vertical walls. Then the next storm delivered powder. The “grader” packs the road. Today the temperature rose and in the third photo you see the last snow “sloughing”.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2017 15:44 #228505 by rlsg
Replied by rlsg on topic Re: January 27, 2017 Mt. Shasta Ski Park
Never been there...always wondered..ie the ski area...looksGreat!!

Thanks for the awesome tr!
Think ill have hit it dime time...

• eskinmo
  • [eskinmo]
More
30 Jan 2017 15:55 #228516 by eskinmo
Replied by eskinmo on topic Re: January 27, 2017 Mt. Shasta Ski Park
just great ski area photos...

More
30 Jan 2017 16:11 #228518 by ddk
Gotta agree that Zap posts some very nice pics and I like reading where he is..but....I try to take pics...but never post... ???