1/23/17 - 1/27/17 Whistler

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
27 Jan 2017 15:52 - 27 Jan 2017 17:19 #228479 by avajane
1/23/17 - 1/27/17 Whistler was created by avajane
Mostly clear and cold but it's been a bit too long since the last snow. If you hike to find fresh snow it's still ok, but anything with tracks is fried crispy. Steeps are sorta chalky, but with an occasion hard spot or icy chunk making them very sporty. Bottom of the mountain was soft and warm today for the first time this season. No crowds. Great groomers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2017 08:35 #228493 by rlsg
Replied by rlsg on topic Re: 1/23/17 - 1/27/17 Whistler
Great to get Whistler updates...never been but maybe this season if stars line up..

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
28 Jan 2017 08:53 #228494 by telemack
Replied by telemack on topic Re: 1/23/17 - 1/27/17 Whistler
Brian, I enjoy your TRs from N and E.
My wife is going on a girls' ski trip to W-B next week. (Adding insult to injury, they are taking "my" truck to move their toys and bottles.) Any recommendations to pass on for soft snow or reliable groomers?

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
28 Jan 2017 10:08 - 28 Jan 2017 18:46 #228495 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: 1/23/17 - 1/27/17 Whistler
Last year I wrote a long thread that has been read a lot. I think it's called Whistler Trip Planner - maximize your time.

For your wife...it might snow Sunday and it'd it does, its often way more in the alpine. Get in line by 8:00 if there is new snow. Basically ski further from the chair than most others and you will get fresh tracks. Watch the board and hit the Alpine when it opens. Harmony Ridge should be great.

On groomer days look at the grooming reports in the morning. Long groomers like Peak to Creek are currently groomed on Wednesday and Saturday but check to be sure. Lower Franz's is also groomed every few days. With harder snow, you'll want to do These first thing on days when they are groomed. Upper Franz's is always hard snow! Crystal chair has great rolling groomers than stay good most of the day. If 7th Heaven isn't windy, the groomers soften in late afternoon sun.

Have fun