Crystal - 01/26 Ouch

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Jan 2017 17:10 #228461 by ddk
Crystal - 01/26 Ouch was created by ddk
Short northern version – Fog, sun, great groomers early, great packed pow in the right places, new 2 to 4 inches to make life happy, nice soft easy sun warmed slopes (in the right places…) Dang just a mighty fine day. And the wordy long winded report…..

Uh Oh!...Sorry for so many words… gotta say today ended up being one of those really happy bonus days! Arrived extra late to test the free A lot – 8:15 front of the third row…massive Pay and Bus space – both equally empty when I left around 2:30. Dropped my Coombas into slot number 1 of CHex (no other skis in sight….kinda bazaar that late). Quick base lodge visit and into line for opening at 8:45…right on schedule. Mental problems early with another total fog out condition on the upper mountain, just like yesterday, so still managed to have fun in the Valley, Grubstake side early…Bigger lucky! Bumped into Mr Ferk free skiing…I really am tired and hurt right now. Bounced around in the Valley, found good happy for me lines. Passed a dead REX around 10ish and that was the real bonus…Headed up FQex to brighter and brighter conditions….Up HC to find out if there was any vis….and Lordy the clouds parted the sun came out and Mr Ferk took me places that I’d been to lazy to do in Campbell Basin ( Double O Right – awesome fun for multiple runs, Rabbit Ears (great in the sun soft and deep and happy)…PB skier left side (some would call it JD line), my fav line skier right off the top (oh so happy steep and smooth and everything fun, love that cascading snow sliding down the slope in the sun). Good big sun lasted till 1pm when the fog blew in again….skied a few good vis spots in the Valley and finished my day with Mr Ferk out Kelly’s Gap. (to early in the day for a legend, so parted ways at the base)….by the time I drove away the mountain was in full sun again. Thanks Mr Ferkinator! You gave me a great work out and got me out of my singled minded hamster treadmill!

Other – Had to suffer (?) another bowl of Chicken Noodle (dang it was good) at CB lodge (saw they had it at the base today also). No lift lines, no crowds…fun day. Pay lot as noted was massively empty. Drive good…especially arriving late and even today leaving late…(except the school buses when I hit the Maple Valley area) Great day, sounds like more sun tomorrow, should be good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Jan 2017 17:19 - 26 Jan 2017 17:25 #228463 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Crystal - 01/26 Ouch
I arrived at 2:00 PM.
ddk's report spot on.
Had great fun for a couple of hours.
Right angle to Gap Rd was good.
Skiing was pretty good but bring your carver skis.

Met an interesting couple in the gondi.
He was the snow safety director at Alpental for many years and also started the WSDOT avy control program at the pass. He worked with John Stimbuck who now runs that program.

He says he's 3" shorter due to skiing " tight rights" on Nash for 40 years! HA!

He introduced me to his wife. She has a run named after her by him, at Alpental... "Sweet Little Annie."
I thanked them for their years of service to our sport.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Jan 2017 19:27 #228466 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Crystal - 01/26 Ouch
Lil history lesson from the Scotsman!

Sweet lil Annie is pretty tight right now

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Jan 2017 21:03 #228467 by Scotsman

Lil history lesson from the Scotsman!

Sweet lil Annie is pretty tight right now

HA!You can but hope.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Jan 2017 19:33 #228488 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Crystal - 01/26 Ouch

Met an interesting couple in the gondi.
He was the snow safety director at Alpental for many years and also started the WSDOT avy control program at the pass. He worked with John Stimbuck who now runs that program.

Craig Wilbour? A lot of history there.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Jan 2017 19:39 #228489 by Scotsman

Craig Wilbour?  A lot of history there.

Yep.. He explained that he was instrumental in getting WSDOT to do preventative Avy control at the  pass rather than close it down and wait till it slides naturally and dig it all out. He said he proved that although more frequent , the actual time the pass was closed down for the preventative avy control was less time than the time it was closed to clear up naturals. Very interesting man.

• JKordel
  • [Alpentrol]
More
28 Jan 2017 20:13 #228498 by JKordel
Replied by JKordel on topic Re: Crystal - 01/26 Ouch
Woo hoo Craig and Annie!

Craig is a legend and was an inspiration and mentor to several generations of Alpental skiers. Nobody skis mushroom like Craig does.