telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
06/22/17, 11:31 AM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Business Trip to Hokkaido - Need Resort Advice
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Business Trip to Hokkaido - Need Resort Advice  (Read 2834 times)
jimmyjam
5Member

Business Trip to Hokkaido - Need Resort Advice
« on: 01/25/17, 01:02 PM »

I have an upcoming business trip to Tokyo and...I'm still pinching myself on this one...then I go up to Sapporo for some meetings there.  I probably have 1-2 days to get in some skiing after my meetings and then I have to get back home to the family. 

Does anyone have advice of a lift served area close to Sapporo?  There seems to be many options so I would like to make the best use of my time and choose wisely.  I'm thinking what's best for snow, expert terrain, and logistically not too difficult given the short window that I have.

I have not decided yet whether to drag my gear or just rent.  I skied on Honshu about 11 years ago and rented gear and, regardless of the so-so equipment, was completely blown away by the mountains, snow, and wonderful people.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
James
hop
5Member

Re: Business Trip to Hokkaido - Need Resort Advice
« Reply #1 on: 01/25/17, 01:37 PM »

It's easy enough to get to Niseko, Rusutsu, or Kiroro from Sapporo (1-2h bus ride) but don't overlook Teine, right above Sapporo itself.  One of the deepest days I've ever skied was there. 

https://vimeo.com/85506973

It doesn't matter where you've been as long as it was deep.
Randy

« Reply #2 on: 01/26/17, 03:00 PM »

Kokusai is just an hour from central Sapporo.    Mostly skiied by locals that for the most part stay on the "courses"  - Rope ducking is officially banned -- but In two days there I didn't make a complete run on groomed snow, nor did I get harassed by the ski patrol.   Thursday is "senior day" and for locals 55 and older a ticket is just 1500 yen.   I'm not a local -- but when I went to the booth and pointed to the 1500 yen sign, the ticket seller checked my WA drivers license for age, but seemed to decide that the it would be too much trouble to explain why I wasn't a local.   The curry ramen in the upper cafeteria is huge and tasty for 1000 yen.

https://vimeo.com/198412074

Kiroro Is about 1 and half from central Sapporo.   It has some decent outside the rope terrain -- but you've have to file a plan with the ski patrol and check back in at the end of the day -- and they actually have ski patrol people at the gates.   

Niseko is 2 and half hours from Sapporo -- a bit shorter if you take the toll road (which will run $40+ in tolls)   Outside the rope line is through unmanned gates with noticed about how much you will be charged for rescue.    I had a very enjoyable sidecountry tours from the top of the Hanazono single chair and hiking to the top of the mountain( Annapuri ) and then skiing the north side and winding around clockwise back to the base.    We also found good skiing of gates 7 and 8 at the Niseko Annapuri resort.

HTH

rlsg

« Reply #3 on: 01/26/17, 06:38 PM »

You are really getting the coveted deep on your trip...keep those videos a coming!!
jimmyjam
5Member

« Reply #4 on: 01/27/17, 11:49 AM »

Thanks for the great advice and vids!!  Love the Heavy Metal /
Dead soundtrack....how fitting for a skiing road trip.

At this point, since I'll be staying in Sapporo, it looks like Sapporo Teine is going to be my best bet for quick access skiing.  I think I'll rent instead of hauling my gear for such a short stay.  If the stars align and I'm in powder, that will be a definite bonus.   I'm also looking at this as a company paid recon for a future trip with friends!

James
hop
5Member

« Reply #5 on: 01/27/17, 01:00 PM »

Thanks for the great advice and vids!!  Love the Heavy Metal /
Dead soundtrack....how fitting for a skiing road trip.

At this point, since I'll be staying in Sapporo, it looks like Sapporo Teine is going to be my best bet for quick access skiing.  I think I'll rent instead of hauling my gear for such a short stay.  If the stars align and I'm in powder, that will be a definite bonus.   I'm also looking at this as a company paid recon for a future trip with friends!

James

At least bring your boots! 

It doesn't matter where you've been as long as it was deep.
jimmyjam
5Member

« Reply #6 on: 01/27/17, 03:27 PM »

Yes! I decided to bring my boots. They have demo rentals at Teine so at least I won't be stuck on some crappy rentals.  I'm hoping they have something fat-ish. 

After Japan, my next business trip is back to Switzerland so hope to hit Engelberg again this year.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.