Home > Forum > Where to ski this weekend?

Where to ski this weekend?

• Pete A
  • [Bud]
More
08 Nov 2002 02:12 #168019 by Pete A
Where to ski this weekend? was created by Pete A
Thought I'd throw a thread up on the bulletin board and ask around. Charles, Ron, Andrew? I assume you guys are going to ski this weekend, I'm heading up to the muir snowfield on sunday, but I'm a little worried that it could be too stormy up there (too windy) to be much fun. Do any of you guys have alternate locations you are thinking about, the paradise glaciers perhaps? And advice you might be willing to share on where you think the freshies will be best this weekend would be greatly appreciated! Gracias!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
08 Nov 2002 07:18 #168020 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: Where to ski this weekend?
I'm probably not skiing this weekend, but if I were, I'd probably go back to Muir hoping that the new snow will be able to completely cover the existing snowfields. After hearing several stories of very bad injuries from skiers colliding with barely buried rocks off of the "permanent" snow, I'm cautious about straying early in the season. It doesn't seem that there is significant new snow up to 5500' yet, but that's supposed to change in the next 24 hours. With the incredible melt-out of the last two years and the loss of "permanent" snow, I wouldn't go up to the Paradise Glacier area yet. Baker always has snow, right? Hopefully the coming snow is the real start of winter in the mountains and we won't be having to ask this kind of question much more!

• Pete A
  • [Bud]
More
08 Nov 2002 07:31 #168021 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Where to ski this weekend?
Hey Charles, <br>Thanks for writing back, I'm probably going to check out Baker next weekend if the snow level stays low, but this weekend its up to rainier. Some fall trips up to rainier I haven't even been able to get to the snowfield...too windy...but a bad day in the backcountry is better than being in the city. I'll let you know what I find up there on sunday.

• alpentalcorey
  • [alpentalcorey]
More
08 Nov 2002 09:04 #168022 by alpentalcorey
Replied by alpentalcorey on topic Re: Where to ski this weekend?
I am not skiing this weekend, will be going to Spokane, but depending on the weather and such I would really like to ski next weekend, anybody here thinking about it?<br><br>(I suppose everyone here is "thinking about it") :)<br><br>

More
08 Nov 2002 12:22 #168023 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: Where to ski this weekend?
Bud <br>Muir if not blowing would be good with just 3-6 ". Forcast is for winds. If coming snow is as much as they say there are grassy areas at Chinook and Crystal mt. Always be on the lookout for hidden obstacles.XC tour into Grand Park might be possible but no real tele turns,well maybe 10 !

More
08 Nov 2002 14:17 #168024 by Robie
Just heard from Dorothea<br> "Just heard from Bronka that Paradise got 5" snow today, more expected tomorrow."<br>

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Nov 2002 02:21 #168026 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Where to ski this weekend?
We will attempt to ski Muir Sunday or Monday; expect lots of new snow, worried about gate opening on Sunday. Monday's a holiday for me (even so I'm working today and may work tomorrow) and we now own our own little piece of heaven down the street from Aki and Bronka and we need to get it ready for regular winter occupancy with power, water, a solid driveway ;D.abc

• Pete A
  • [Bud]
More
09 Nov 2002 06:35 #168027 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Where to ski this weekend?
Checked the road conditions report saturday morning...road is gated at longmire till 9am....so I am expecting a wait at longmire sunday morning as well.<br>If the winds aren't too strong as theres actually a little big of visiblity between the 6-10" of flakes that are supposed to fall tomorrow conditions up on the snowfield could be outstanding. Just gonna have to keep my fingers crossed!

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
09 Nov 2002 07:41 #168028 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Where to ski this weekend?
Looks like tomorrow is the day--freezing level 4,000 going up to 6,000 Mon with possibility of high winds ...

More
09 Nov 2002 08:07 #168029 by Robie
Looks like Dorothea and I will be waiting at the Longmire gate with yall. Chinook pass has 12" as measured perpindicular to slope in the Glades. West aspect of Naches pk above Big Tipsoo. Noodles and I made 3 passes on the grasses.Higher up hidden rocks and snags alurkin.<br> Ullar let it all begin anew!