Home > Trip Reports > 1/23/17 Good snow on Blewitt

1/23/17 Good snow on Blewitt

1/23/17
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by avajane on 1/23/17 9:33am
Kings Ridge perfect. Easy skin track. Light, boottop snow. Only one set of tracks! Pictures on Facebook TAY
author=avajane link=topic=37695.msg152734#msg152734 date=1485221610]
Kings Ridge perfect. Easy skin track. Light, boottop snow. Only one set of tracks! Pictures on Facebook TAY

ludite here..ie dont do fb...could you post here?

Above picture at maybe 3600' on ridge. Higher up would be even deeper but even at this level it was perfect. I quit posting pictures here as I don't know how to make them small enough without emailing them to myself and then downsizing to bad resolution. It's so much easier on Facebook....but this time...😄

author=avajane link=topic=37695.msg152803#msg152803 date=1485312821]
Trying

Very similar conditions up around Horse Lake Mt. at the end of No. 2 Canyon.

Nice. It's often a small window but when it's on it's on!

I think I drove down Canyon 2 one day and scared the **** out of my wife.

How heavy was the snow? When we drove over Blewett Monday afternoon it looked thick and with a temp spike into the upper 30s that day (followed by a cool-down overnight) I'm concerned conditions have changed for the worse...

On Monday afternoon it was hard as a rock at 2,000' in Valley Hi. At trailhead it was
Soft with a soft crust underneath. In the picture shot, 3/4's up the ridge it was perfect, light powder. The problem with low elevation skiiing is it can go bad quick. I wouldn't travel far without a better update than I can give from Whistler. If you go, plan on skiing  on the north facing aspects.

I'll try to get an update on If I can get Ava to go check.

I skied not too far from there on Sunday (just W of Ingalls) and there was impressive pow (12-16") above 4k'.  It tends to stay cooler over that way, but the sun also tends to be more intense.  It's too bad the N facing slopes off the 9712 road (Mt Lillian, Devils Gulch, etc.) aren't more easily accessible to non-motorized users, as in years with good snow (like this) it is really, really good.  Thanks for posting Ava. This spot deserves more traffic.

As an aside - Have any of you Eastsiders ever explored up the Ingalls Creek valley from the highway?  On the map it looks like you can get to huge N facing slopes (3 Bros/3k'+ relief) with just a couple miles of flat travel each way.  I've done more work for less reward.

Someone went yesterday and liked it lots. Stay northeast and off anything southfacing. The guy yesterday said he went to 5200' and found 6-8" of good snow. Another guy on Tuesday found unpredictable crust under good snow and went elsewhere.

Reply to this TR

1-23-17-good-snow-on-blewitt
avajane
2017-01-23 17:33:30