Home > Trip Reports > January 22, 2017, Snow Lake Environs

January 22, 2017, Snow Lake Environs

1/22/17
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by joepa on 1/23/17 2:49am
Kyle and I headed up to Snoqualmie Pass to check out the area around Snow Lake. We dropped to Snow Lake from the Snow Lake Divide and then headed east to complete the Snow Lake Divide tour described in Martin Volken's book. I've been to Snow Lake plenty of times but had never tried to complete this loop. As we toured into the valley east of Snow Lake, we struggled to find a way through the steep terrain to the south. We think we finally found the right way through but on the steep north facing slopes we found storm slab that was poorly bonded to the freezing rain crust from last week at about 4800'. We called it there and turned around. We followed our ascent track back out. There was surprisingly fun skiing on slopes in the below 4800'. Staying light on our skis kept us above the crust and there were no signs of instability on lower angle slopes. It snowed most of the day and visibility was low on our ski back down to source lake. All in all, it was a fun day to get out and explore.

Does anyone know if we were shooting for the right spot in the ridge? The red pin in my image is what we were headed for. Any tips?

I'm too cheap to buy the Volkenmeister book, but I'm guessing he's trying to have you ski back south into the the Alpental valley; A similar route to the summer trail? I'm sure someone here knows how to do it.
My limited experience on the north sides of East-West ridges in the Snotqualime area is, that they are steep and complex on the north sides and often puckeringly difficult to get through unless you know the way.
I tend to scout stuff in summer if I want to nail it in winter.
Rock on.

I believe the cross-over point is somewhere about here:
http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDIhtOMCAw
You can also cross over to Thunder basin and exit via the Slot exit gully.

Could be useful.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?dg=feature&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&ie=UTF8&mid=1peuLVZJ-OUfJIGRtuA2nI3vR7oc&ll=47.453513801072084%2C-121.42609123272706&z=14

Reply to this TR

january-22-2017-snow-lake-environs
joepa
2017-01-23 10:49:27