Home > Trip Reports > January 22, 2017, Hurricane Ridge

January 22, 2017, Hurricane Ridge

1/22/17
WA Olympics
Posted by telemack on 1/23/17 2:41am
     Snow was surprisingly deep and untracked for multiple laps on the north side of Maggie's Run.  A skin track was in from Friday, but only a few tracks and none from Saturday.   Wind was significant on the ridge in the AM but lessened as predicted; temps. mostly upper 20's.  Snow was deep, plentiful and consistent medium density:  perfect for the glades and openings where we played.  Snow was very stable, with slide rubble from Wednesday below N and NW facing ridgelines.  Our group grew to 6, big crew for the Ridge.  Whoops and hollers came from riders aged 28 to 65.  Maggie's back to the road was still primo at 3:30.  Skies were overcast but visibility was never a problem.
     A month after the solstice, there was still time for another run or two, but vehicles are required to be out the entrance station by 5 PM.  Stash beta:  since the HR Road only opens Friday-Sunday, you get three days to ski up to 7 days of snow!  The problem is, when there is a questionable road opening, you have to be on the highway to Port Angeles before you know when it opens (runcle reported 11:00 opening 1/20).

The Olympic ski touring was fine
Skin tracks made by our cool conga line
Turns in sight of the sea
Always feel great to me
At the day's end we partied like swine
Mr. Bell and I would sure like to hammer out some stuff with you this year.  ;)  The poetry is impeccable, as usual.  Thanks for the great report.

Great skiing. About as good as it get in these parts!

Hey Mack,
Good report! You are correct that the skin track was put in on Friday, later in the day. Jan, Jeff and I made a couple great runs down through that zone on Saturday. Snow was outstanding! we exited from Maggies to the north, it was even better.  ;) Let us know when you are headed this way, it would be good to share a skin track with you.

Joe, Stugie,
I remember a day with you guys a few years ago near here, we should do an encore one of these days..........  :D

Gary

Reply to this TR

january-22-2017-hurricane-ridge
telemack
2017-01-23 10:41:21