Home > Trip Reports > January 21, 2017, Bagley Lake Basin

January 21, 2017, Bagley Lake Basin

1/21/17
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by thatcherk1 on 1/22/17 10:43pm
With reports of 20" of fresh Friday morning at Baker Ski Area Chris and I decided it was worth the drive to avoid the rain-affected snow farther south. The day started pretty socked in, and that discouraged a more epic far-out day. So we stuck to the Heather Meadows area. Skinned up to artist point, aimlessly wandered in the clouds, eventually dropped in just below the prow of Table. No vis, untracked rollovers in open terrain caused a conservative, but fun run down to Bagley. We crossed the lake and headed up the peak next to Herman (the one that's closest to the ski area). The sun came out as it continued snowing. It was warm and beautiful, but we sped our pace to get some turns in before the snow was too baked. We skied the most popular face that looks over the ski area. It was pretty tracked, but neither of us know the area well. Still fun skiing was had. Then for one final run we went back to Artist Point and dropped in the same spot as our first run. It was magnificent! The snow stayed light in the shade there. Steep, no sign of a crust. Whoops echoed across the valley.
Sun-sheltered snow was 10" of light-ish on 10" of heavier, but still fun pow. No bottom was felt. Not overly wind-affected on the ridges. The solar slopes cooked and were heavy, lots of pinwheeling and some wet sluffage. Did I mention it was warm.

By the time we hit our third run the GoPro was dead. So our middle run is all you get. Also I've gotten a lot better at skiing pow since the last video. So no entertaining falls to watch, dispite my Vipec bindings deciding to put me in tele mode twice. Those bindings are super fidgety! Ok here it is:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LD0J9rIe1ZY
Great day of freshies and discovering new terrain up there! Well worth the 4:45 wake up bell!

Yeah it was warm when that sun came out. We should've got an earlier start. Turned around when we got hit with full-slope rollerballing traversing under the S side of Table. Went back yesterday and slayed lots of untracked on Ptarmigan ridge. Thanks for the skintrack, whoever you were!

Reply to this TR

january-21-2017-bagley-lake-basin
thatcherk1
2017-01-23 06:43:18