Home > Forum > Mid January, Tahoe and Shasta

Mid January, Tahoe and Shasta

• cyril
  • [cyril]
More
22 Jan 2017 20:17 #228393 by cyril
Mid January, Tahoe and Shasta was created by cyril
No need for much details, just reporting the obvious deep pow days almost all of this month. I was at Mt. Ashland and Shasta Ski Park for the 18th to 21st massive dumping, now Tahoe for this 22nd and 23rd blizzard. Getting used to seeing double digits all the time these days.
With all the closures you can end up getting multiple days out of a storm as terrain opens slowly over days between at least 6 resorts. So on a 6 to 10 foot cycle you can go Heavenly, Sierra, Kirkwood, Squaw, over 4 days of greedily slashing as much untouched bottomless pow as possible.
I'm skiing on 180 Praxis Powderboards, fully reverse sidecut 135 underfoot, full rocker. Left the rest of my quiver in Washington. So fun how you can bounce around and stomp into the snowpack, wiggle through trees, and never have to manage where your sidecut takes your ski. Also it's the magic solution to wet snow, I barely notice, because you are pushing over it instead of turning into it. I highly recommend them for pow addicts who hunt down and link up untracked scraps till the last chair. The short version has its advantages for tight steeps, but as I get into my flow and if I ski less steep terrain I am craving more length and power.
It's really been amazing since the 2nd of January, over 300 inches, surprisingly lightly crowded most days, lots of excellent terrain with direct access and high speed chairs. The sheer number of superb slashes across 4 foot deep rollovers and glades I have done in the 11 deepest days of January is mind boggling.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2017 15:39 #228425 by rlsg
Replied by rlsg on topic Re: Mid January, Tahoe and Shasta
Have not skied Ashland since 1971...cool little hill for sure...how are the lift lines?

Seen those reverse camber skis around...looks like something to try in when we get deep cascade pow again..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.