Home > Trip Reports > Jan 15, 2017, japanoqualmie

Jan 15, 2017, japanoqualmie

1/15/17
Posted by cumulus on 1/17/17 4:18am
We went to Japan last Sunday.

It was really nice.

Unreal really, like when it hasn't snowed in almost a week but it looks like it just snowed yesterday and you're in the Pacific Northwest. Unreal!

You look at the ground. It's glittering, the air is glittering, random rainbows materialize, crystals hang in the air and your fingers are about to fall off because it's so frickin' cold! but who cares, it's beautiful. Go faster.

There were more evergreens than anticipated. Even the pillows looked more zen.

Luckily Rob had been to Japan two days earlier and put in one of the most professional skin tracks I've ever had the pleasure to be on ...and that's coming from an admitted skin track snob! We've all got our foibles...  but really, the way that track threaded the cliff bands, pure perfection.

We emerged on a large hanging snow field that had been powder two days earlier but the inversion had cohered all the looseness out of the top several inches...with loose underneath (is that a thing, inversion slab?). With the constriction down below us and increasing sun it frightened me way down in my gut and I refused to ski it.

Even in Japan it's good to poke the snow every once in a while.

snow-poke

So we went to ski something else and stumbled across 2K of fall-line powder. Unbelievable! Just like Japan.

In fact it started looking a whole lot more like that compact convoluted Cascade cragginess that I love.

Really fun run. Rob nailing it.

some zen garden moments

and glittery snow down low

No après hotsprings... unfortunately. Just a coupla beers at the car... keeping America great.

Looks great! Main Island or Hokkaido? Sushi or Ramen for dinner? Double Arigato! :D

Should've skied to the hot springs for the full experience ;-)
Nice

Thanks Jeff (and Kam) -
author=shred link=topic=37629.msg152481#msg152481 date=1484700375]
Main Island or Hokkaido?

In the Land of the Six Sided Snowflake I think would be safe to say... which is certainly better than the current Land of Big Fat Globules of Water :-[ ;)

Reply to this TR

jan-15-2017-japanoqualmie
cumulus
2017-01-17 12:18:14