Home > Trip Reports > January 14-15, 2017, Ginreisou, Hokkiado, Japan

January 14-15, 2017, Ginreisou, Hokkiado, Japan

1/14/17
Posted by Randito on 1/15/17 7:31am
Had a nice overnight trip to a hut run by Tokio University outdoor club. Hut was far nicer than any of the UBC huts I've stayed in British Columbia, a hut manager that not only keeps the stove stoked, but also grabs your mittens as you come in and puts them on the drying rack, but be sure to use the brushes in the entry area to remove all snow from boots, clothes and packs. The fastidious procedures allow you to walk around in the hut in sock feet dry and warm.
Above the hut are perfect YoYo slopes and while we were there was very nice Hokkiado powder. The clouds parted for bit on Sunday morning, with a view over the Sea of Japan.
Yoshiko and I went with a group of her Hokkiado ski friends, that are keen on having a good time more that maximum ski laps. They made a very festive meal of sukayaki and I guess I made a favorable impression with my chopstick skills, which most westerners they've encountered fumble with.
After several morning YoYo laps we skied out and the visited Yoshiko's Aunt in Otaru. Otaru is a fishing center and has many sushi bars, Yoshiko's Aunt took to the one she considers the best. After fumbling a bit I learned some of the rules and was fed a wide sampling. Including two helpings of Octopus, which has never appealed to me in the states, but here it was quite good.

https://vimeo.com/199515039

The hut

Yoshiko -- Hokkiado powder guide supreme!

Where else can you ski powder with an ocean view?

Best sushi in Otaru

Sweet! What was the name of the sushi place? I'll be in Otaru in 1 week, and looking for any beta!

author=WhiteyWhite link=topic=37609.msg152443#msg152443 date=1484619900]
Sweet! What was the name of the sushi place? I'll be in Otaru in 1 week, and looking for any beta!

The last picture is of the sushi bar's business card.  Maybe Google translate can help decipher it into some thing useful for anglophones

Reply to this TR

january-14-15-2017-ginreisou-hokkiado-japan
Randito
2017-01-15 15:31:47