telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
10/30/14, 08:10 AM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2002 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  Trip Reports - November 2002
| | |-+  November 3, 2002, Palmer Gl. Bottom Feeding
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: November 3, 2002, Palmer Gl. Bottom Feeding  (Read 1685 times)
ron j
TAY Moderator

November 3, 2002, Palmer Gl. Bottom Feeding
« on: 11/04/02, 06:01 AM »

It's clearly getting down to scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of finding places to ski in the southern Washington Cascades. Charles' report on Muir conditions was dismal and Robie's on Northside Rainier conditions was even worse.
In hopes of getting Ullar to cut loose some of that magic powder, Mad Dog and I thought we would just go ahead and get our November ski in right away in these dismal conditions.  That way we might then propagate some new snow for the rest of you.  
With the experience of skiing the Palmer 2 weeks ago behind us, we virtually "broke the code" on lift skiing the Palmer in low snow conditions.  We used our rando gear so the trail walking was much more palatable.  In addition, we blazed a new trail down to the glacier in soft dirt, so the down climb from the lift was almost like a walk in the park.  We kept saying all day, "Boy, Robie's gonna be pissed that he missed this.  Let's hope we get some new snow to ski on this month which will help assuage the pain for him."  I really do hate to show you the pictures...
Well, here's one:

The rest of them are at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/bottomfeederskiing11302.msnw
But don't tell Robie about them.
You'd never guess from looking at the pics, but believe it or not we did not wear beepers or carry shovels.
« Last Edit: 11/07/02, 06:33 AM by admin » Logged

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
ďPrediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.Ē - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
Mad_Dog

Re: November 3, 2002 Palmer Gl. Bottom Feeding
« Reply #1 on: 11/04/02, 06:19 AM »

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, what a great spring day for November.  Wonder where to next for December, isn't New Zeland heading into spring now to?   Cool

Hate to say this, but the skiing was even better than the pictures showed.  One of those, you had to be there to believe it trips   Grin

There is nothing worse than refusing to learn: this is where old age begins.

Jeanette
Robie

« Reply #2 on: 11/04/02, 01:02 PM »

I'm "                                  "*

*speechless

"I bought my rope at Walmart ,my gloves at costco but paid dearly for my dynafits"
Apparant Moderator of what sucks
Charles
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: 11/06/02, 08:44 AM »

I finally got a chance to look at all of your photos, Ron. Great photo essay on the approach - I got a good idea what it is really like up there right now. Those photos from the first chair make it look like there isn't really any skiing to be had up there, and the photos of the luge run are hard to believe. Do they keep pushing snow down that little gulley with the groomers to keep it filled? But you obviously got a LOT of turns in, and the spring conditions looked great. Thanks for the photos.
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #4 on: 11/06/02, 04:38 PM »

... and the photos of the luge run are hard to believe. Do they keep pushing snow down that little gulley with the groomers to keep it filled?

Yep.
That's exactly what they do.  In fact they park the snow cat in the ditch at the bottom of of the "pushed down" snow after its done grooming.

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
ďPrediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.Ē - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.