Home > Forum > Independent ski instructors in the Snoqualmie area

Independent ski instructors in the Snoqualmie area

• froman
  • [froman]
More
12 Jan 2017 18:53 #228252 by froman
My girlfriend and I have discovered that I'm a lousy ski instructor, and for the health of our relationship, we need to hire one for her. We're looking for a few midweek night skiing lessons at the pass. I saw that the mountain offers lessons, but I wasn't sure of quality. My preference would be to hire an independent ski instructor.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or have any guidance?

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AlpineRose
  • [AlpineRose]
More
13 Jan 2017 19:48 - 13 Jan 2017 19:51 #228276 by AlpineRose
The Snowperformance instructors are now teaching at Snoq Pass.  They are very, very good.  They offer both group and private instruction, plus interesting multi-day outings.  Although their group classes started first week of January, I would encourage you to contact them to see what you could arrange. 

imho, professional instruction is a worthwhile investment.  In the long run, you'll save $$ and time and be safer.  It's so very much easier to develop good muscle memory from the beginning than to unlearn bad habits.   

Don't be discouraged about your personal attempt at teaching.  You have lots of company.  It's a pretty standard thing for it to not be a good idea for significant others to attempt teaching each other a new skill. Instead, look forward to the fun you'll have skiing together after your friend gets good instruction. Maybe she'll have a thing or two to teach you!

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 Jan 2017 17:09 - 15 Jan 2017 21:00 #228303 by Randito
Teaching skiing required additional skills than just being a good skier and even amoung professional ski instructors it is generally considered wise to have another instructor provide lessons to a "significant other".

Jim Clement is another instructor that I would recommend for private lessons out of the Summit West Learning Center.

For next season -- consider multi-week group lessons -- They are less expensive than private lessons, and while you get less personal attention from the instructor -- you also learn from the other students.   The Washington Alpine Club Wednesday Night Series is one such program -- that doesn't doesn't cut into weekend ski time and benefits from much less crowded conditions.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 Jan 2017 20:28 #228306 by Andrew Carey

My girlfriend and I have discovered that I'm a lousy ski instructor, and for the health of our relationship, we need to hire one for her. ...

It is almost axiomatic that one spouse shouldn't teach another some new sporting skill--it often isn't effective and can easily harm a relationship LOL Some courses, for example, technical whitewater canoeing won't allow spouses in the same boat. Additionally, it is like technical consulting--an in-house expert is oftern undervalued and an outside consultant oftern overvalued.

In any case, I have had good luck with PSIA telemark instructors and actually my wife and I had instruction from Stuart C. probably 20 years ago in the group alpine rose suggested.

Good instruction is well worth the money, not just in speed of learning, but in reduced frustration, and reduced chance of injury.

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 Jan 2017 21:36 #228309 by silaswild

Jim Clement is another instructor that I would recommend for private lessons out of the Summit West Learning Center.

For next season -- consider multi-week group lessons -- They are less expensive than private lessons, and while you get less personal attention from the instructor -- you also learn from the other students.   The Washington Alpine Club Wednesday Night Series is one such program -- that doesn't doesn't cut into weekend ski time and benefits from much less crowded conditions.

Jim has moved to Winthrop, perhaps he teaches out of Loup Loup now?

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
16 Jan 2017 06:26 #228311 by Randito

Jim has moved to Winthrop, perhaps he teaches out of Loup Loup now?

Oops , I guess my info is outdated.