telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
05/29/17, 04:34 AM

Support Snohomish County's
Helicopter Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Independent ski instructors in the Snoqualmie area
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Independent ski instructors in the Snoqualmie area  (Read 2155 times)
froman
1Member

Independent ski instructors in the Snoqualmie area
« on: 01/12/17, 06:53 PM »

My girlfriend and I have discovered that I'm a lousy ski instructor, and for the health of our relationship, we need to hire one for her. We're looking for a few midweek night skiing lessons at the pass. I saw that the mountain offers lessons, but I wasn't sure of quality. My preference would be to hire an independent ski instructor.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or have any guidance?

Thanks in advance!
AlpineRose

Re: Independent ski instructors in the Snoqualmie area
« Reply #1 on: 01/13/17, 07:48 PM »

The Snowperformance instructors are now teaching at Snoq Pass.  They are very, very good.  They offer both group and private instruction, plus interesting multi-day outings.  Although their group classes started first week of January, I would encourage you to contact them to see what you could arrange. 

imho, professional instruction is a worthwhile investment.  In the long run, you'll save $$ and time and be safer.  It's so very much easier to develop good muscle memory from the beginning than to unlearn bad habits.   

Don't be discouraged about your personal attempt at teaching.  You have lots of company.  It's a pretty standard thing for it to not be a good idea for significant others to attempt teaching each other a new skill.  Instead, look forward to the fun you'll have skiing together after your friend gets good instruction.  Maybe she'll have a thing or two to teach you!
« Last Edit: 01/13/17, 07:51 PM by AlpineRose » Logged
Randy

« Reply #2 on: 01/15/17, 05:09 PM »

Teaching skiing required additional skills than just being a good skier and even amoung professional ski instructors it is generally considered wise to have another instructor provide lessons to a "significant other".

Jim Clement is another instructor that I would recommend for private lessons out of theSummit West Learning Center.

For next season -- consider multi-week group lessons -- They are less expensive than private lessons, and while you get less personal attention from the instructor -- you also learn from the other students.   The Washington Alpine Club Wednesday Night Series is one such program -- that doesn't doesn't cut into weekend ski time and benefits from much less crowded conditions.
« Last Edit: 01/15/17, 09:00 PM by Randy » Logged
Andrew Carey

« Reply #3 on: 01/15/17, 08:28 PM »

My girlfriend and I have discovered that I'm a lousy ski instructor, and for the health of our relationship, we need to hire one for her. ...

It is almost axiomatic that one spouse shouldn't teach another some new sporting skill--it often isn't effective and can easily harm a relationship LOL  Some courses, for example, technical whitewater canoeing won't allow spouses in the same boat.  Additionally, it is like technical consulting--an in-house expert is oftern undervalued and an outside consultant oftern overvalued. 

In any case, I have had good luck with PSIA telemark instructors and actually my wife and I had instruction from Stuart C. probably 20 years ago in the group alpine rose suggested.

Good instruction is well worth the money, not just in speed of learning, but in reduced frustration, and reduced chance of injury.

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
silaswild

« Reply #4 on: 01/15/17, 09:36 PM »

Jim Clement is another instructor that I would recommend for private lessons out of theSummit West Learning Center.

For next season -- consider multi-week group lessons -- They are less expensive than private lessons, and while you get less personal attention from the instructor -- you also learn from the other students.   The Washington Alpine Club Wednesday Night Series is one such program -- that doesn't doesn't cut into weekend ski time and benefits from much less crowded conditions.
Jim has moved to Winthrop, perhaps he teaches out of Loup Loup now?
Randy

« Reply #5 on: 01/16/17, 06:26 AM »

Jim has moved to Winthrop, perhaps he teaches out of Loup Loup now?

Oops , I guess my info is outdated.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.