Home > Trip Reports > Jan 11, 2017, Hyak towards SilverPeak

Jan 11, 2017, Hyak towards SilverPeak

1/11/17
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Jake the Brit on 1/12/17 6:35am
Yesterday PM I skinned up from Summit East, up the powerlines to Grand Junction, over towards windy pass, down the west facing slope between Catharine & Radiotower hill & towards Silver. I was aiming to get onto the NW ridge of Silver, but it was 4pm by the time I got there so I backtracked.

Snow:
Was creamy & wonderful in the (mostly flat) trees, and was super stable on west slopes, which were about 3600-4200vf. No evidence of any instabilities on this (tiny, but steep) west slope.
Areas that were exposed to the east wind were scoured & rock solid, with variable crust, but again no instabilities.

Moonrise over Alta & sunset over the sound. Peachy.

author=Jake the Brit link=topic=37580.msg152297#msg152297 date=1484260528]
Yesterday PM I skinned up from Summit East, up the powerlines to Grand Junction, over towards windy pass, down the west facing slope between Catharine & Radiotower hill & towards Silver. I was aiming to get onto the NW ridge of Silver, but it was 4pm by the time I got there so I backtracked.

Snow:
Was creamy & wonderful in the (mostly flat) trees, and was super stable on west slopes, which were about 3600-4200vf. No evidence of any instabilities on this (tiny, but steep) west slope.
Areas that were exposed to the east wind were scoured & rock solid, with variable crust, but again no instabilities.

Moonrise over Alta & sunset over the sound. Peachy.

Jake, all that way but no photos?  What time did you start up from Hyak?

Hmmm, I think it was about 1.30ish setting out. ...and apologies for the lack of photos; I am in a love/ hate spiral with my camera right now & that day was not a camera lovin' day.
On another note though, the summit east runs were not open in the week & were powderpacked & supercreamy in the post moonrise light.

Reply to this TR

jan-11-2017-hyak-towards-silverpeak
Jake the Brit
2017-01-12 14:35:28