Home > Forum > Crystal - 1/10

Crystal - 1/10

• CD
  • [CD]
More
10 Jan 2017 15:25 #228214 by CD
Crystal - 1/10 was created by CD
Executive Summary: Very light crowd, perfect temps, great snow everywhere. The details: Turned down GV for the first run. It only took two turns to know the refreshed snow had fixed some of the conditions reported on TAY yesterday. After screaming down Ferkberg, hit door 2, and then BP. All nice, although obvious my buds cut it up yesterday. Out to Northway where it felt like I was the only one there. Very nice. Trees on the left side of Paradise Bowl, Bruce's Bowl, and Penny Dawgs all better than the doors and BP. Headed out for a non-stop Employee Housing. The reports from yesterday held true for today. Did a repeat. Then, up C6 for a couple on the Campbell Basin side. Chute .5 was a little wind crusted. Cute 3, smooth and nice. However, the best snow on the mountain was Powder Bowl going left out of the bottom of John's Chute. Smooth, deep, untracked powder. Several repeats. No more. Back to the front side where everything had consolidated nicely into fluffy bumps. Showtime, Breakover, and Sunnyside all better than Memorial. Finished the day with an upper and lower E, far left side. Really nice.

Traffic soup: Black ice on several roads before the Claw. Went through town at 7:15, and hit snowy roads and snowy skies just past the golf course. Stayed that way all the way to the resort. No plows yet. I saw 4 cars total, so road conditions dictated the speed. A herd of Elk very low before the first clear cut on 410. Coming home, roads wet and at the limit.

Rant: To the skiers and snowboarders who stop at a narrow spot on the C6 traverse with their skis sideways completely blocking the trail while they contemplate their navels. Please, pull off to the side so those of us that actually wax our skis can glide out to the chutes along the traverse.

Rave: To ski patrol that has put up snow fences at the top of C6 and Northway to hold the snow. Well done!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2017 15:48 #228215 by ddk
Replied by ddk on topic Re: Crystal - 1/10
And more words and a slightly different take on the day......Great day all in all. The minimalist words for the special northern stepchildren report – New snow (knee deep in places…I have really short lower leg bones), no crowds, no lift lines, great quality improvement since last Saturday (amazing!), no winds, happy northwest wimpy temps, no need to rush around since the crowd was very light…gotta say for a old sick guy it was a pretty happy fun day.

The big wordy report - arrived extra early due to maybe bad road conditions in the low lands…actually had one of my more pleasant casual drives up…Dropped my skis at CHex and picked a spot in the lodge to make sure I didn’t screw any stand in lift line folks that do not like that wacky X-Tal thing about reserving a spot in line…Got first chair with Dino…and the line up was gone by chair 5 or so….Never a lift line, lots of happy folks, fuzzy vis early, but good enough, every run the vis got better…did the front of REX from the Doors to M-World early and then cycled PB/BP’s for the next hour (with a nice “big” bowl of Chicken Noodle in the middle – made my day!). Every run down PB/BP’s was better and better…better vis to see all the big untracked deep pow fields…Yee Haaa! Snow quality every where I went in the narrow middle core was great. Light nice snowfall all morning with nice mid day filtered sun mid day…and way grey getting nasty fuzzy vis early afternoon. Finished the day with lots of SunnySide and Exterminator run (great vis from the top of E looking at the base). Fun day, finally had some lungs and legs to ski.

Other – As notes CB lodge had Chicken Noodle today (plus TB)…heard they had it for the last three days! pipedream!...Thanks Scotsman for not infringing on my domain(ha ha). Parking in the Pay lot was filling up, but lots of late folks filled the left over space, lots of cars in C lot and the rest of the world was pretty empty. Drive down after passing one wimp on the blvd and one other wimp on 410…pretty nice and at speed….Great day looking forward to the lazy causal groomer day with #1 tomorrow – be good for my quads!

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 Jan 2017 16:32 #228217 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: Crystal - 1/10
Silas greeted me in the parking lot of the northern stepsibling resort this morning and congratulated me on my excellent reporting from yesterday. Glad to hear the Chicken Noodle is back on the menu - looking forward to hearing you rave about it every day :)

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Jan 2017 20:00 #228220 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Crystal - 1/10
Tremendous reporting CD and ddk!!!
I think the Pulitzer for Lift Access reporting is down to you two with everestbigbill as a wild card.

I was driving in the opposite direction along snowy 410 and after a 1hr 45 min commute to Seattle I was greeted with two of our key engineers who live close to the office, calling in to say they couldn't come to work because their driveways were icy and they were scared to drive......wtf!!!!!!

Skiing tomorrow with a group from work( beginners)..should be fun(!!!!????), thanks for the condition update.

More
10 Jan 2017 21:01 #228222 by ddk

Silas greeted me in the parking lot of the northern stepsibling resort this morning and congratulated me on my excellent reporting from yesterday. Glad to hear the Chicken Noodle is back on the menu - looking forward to hearing you rave about it every day :)

I always enjoy your reports....and I always work for poor folks up north to bring the irrelevant news from down south...And I always especially like hearing about the number one Silas! - he complimented me at least once this season...Huh? Best wishes...hope to check out the far north soon!...at least once....glad this isn't the Alpy never ending multi page single thread report....so tomorrow I can ignore this thread....

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 Jan 2017 06:18 #228224 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Crystal - 1/10
Oh you'll probably read it again.

More
11 Jan 2017 14:54 #228229 by ddk

Oh you'll probably read it again.

Thanks for making me look again...just to see what you posted....