Home > Trip Reports > 1/6/17, Blue Mtn ONP 1/6/17

1/6/17, Blue Mtn ONP 1/6/17

1/6/17
WA Olympics
Posted by niko on 1/7/17 4:21am
The Hurricane Ridge Rd remained closed due to "unforeseen staffing limitations" so I headed for Blue Mtn. It's a long slog (8 miles, 4000+ ft) but there is a good track now all the way to the top. The reward is gorgeous 360 views of the Strait, the Sound, and the Olympics, and 600-700 ft of decent moderate turns from the top. After that, it's the mother of all glides: the road is so graded that there are only two short flat sections if you know how to conserve speed, and that makes the ski out very easy and fast. Indeed, it makes the whole tour less arduous than it seems on the map. It's a long day to get to the top but skiing out even in the dark is no problem. I started relatively late so I didn't have time to explore the NE bowl of Blue. At the top I saw tracks of two skiers who seem to have done the Hurricane traverse (or come via Deer Ridge trail as Runcle and I did on Wednesday). Nice meeting you, Messrs Roger and Miceal.
Niko
Good to see some action from the Other Mountains.  Low snow levels have made some places closer and others farther, e.g. the road to Ellinor is icy and high-centers you, according to friends who hiked there yesterday.  A pretty big truck got itself stuck over two miles from the lower TH.
When Kevin Koski and I did the Hurricane-Deer Park traverse late January 2013 we finished with a 4-1/2 mile "glide" down the road in our sneakers  :)

Nice effort!

Saw this fracture line and slab remnants today on the Hill today... hard to see but the line contours the bottom of the rocks. Largest one I have ever seen up there! It didn't look particularly deep but maybe over 200 feet wide!

Reply to this TR

1-6-17-blue-mtn-onp-1-6-17
niko
2017-01-07 12:21:34