telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/24/17, 04:19 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Weak Layers: decision making in avalanche terrain
| | |-+  Ian McCammon speaking in Port Angeles 1/14
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ian McCammon speaking in Port Angeles 1/14  (Read 1827 times)
Stormking
5Member

Ian McCammon speaking in Port Angeles 1/14
« on: 01/06/17, 09:30 AM »

Hey All - Enjoy an evening with avalanche researcher Ian McCammon, PhD. He will be presenting information on heuristic traps in recreational avalanche accidents. The talk will be Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 7pm at the Red Lion Hotel in Port Angeles. There is a suggested $10 donation.

Mr. McCammon has worked as an engineer in a variety of fields, and holds degrees in physics, materials science, and mechanical engineering. He has also guided and taught as a field instructor in mountaineering, winter and whitewater expedition settings. His avalanche research has focused on safety education, fracture mechanics, and the human factor. He has collaborated with international researchers and is the author of two avalanche books. 

For further info on Ian and what he is up to check out http://www.snowpit.com/index.htm

This should be a REALLY good talk so tell all of your friends.
freeski

Re: Ian McCammon speaking in Port Angeles 1/14
« Reply #1 on: 01/08/17, 09:28 AM »

Sounds like the best way to spend 10 dollars, wish it wasn't a big road trip for us eastsiders.

While he found significant statisical results on his heuristic research, and well worth reading that paper, it is important to note that his research was a correlational study.

In other words, he indentified relationships between variables. However, these types of studies do not establish cause and effect.

When i read his paper, i consided that it contained an inherent bias, ie, he excluded commercial guide near miss accidents from his study (if i remember correctly and not just reflecting my own bias), so i would question his study sample.

At the time that i read his work, i did not know that he worked as a guide. Is this a correlation that would contribute bias to a study on recreational back country skiers?   

These are questions I'd like to ask him to further my understanding.

But don't get me wrong, i think his is important work and provides a good framework model and insight into human behavior.

My hope is that his talk is filmed and free to view on youtube.

« Last Edit: 01/08/17, 09:34 AM by freeski » Logged

two sets of principles. They are the principles of power and privilege and the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege, it will always be at the expense of truth and justice
C Hedges
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.