Home > Trip Reports > 12-31 Mt. Hood - Newton - Snow test - Lost Helmet

12-31 Mt. Hood - Newton - Snow test - Lost Helmet

12/31/16
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Edgesport on 12/31/16 4:15am
Surface: wind affected, sastrugi, buff, ice, and thin faceted breakable crust in places. Pits: both NE @ 6k and SW @ 5k slopes showed completely consolidated snow all the way to the solstice crust at 27 inches. Shear tests held testers weight. Column test fractured at 10 inches and 17 inches using WWE elbow drop (Wrist, Elbow, Arm) and WWE elbow drop for fun. The Solstice event crust at 27 inches is about 3 inches of ice over (3) to (5) inches of super light faceted snow. We didn't dig to dirt.

Lost Blue Smith Helmet: Started descent just above alpine and stopped just above the last tree of the upper slop.  Helmet went skidding down the fall line into that tree and kept going.  Searched the the lower tree line near the bottom but didn't find it.  PM me if you pick it up.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 
When did your column tests fail?  WWE?  After the 30 total hits?  (is this a wrestling joke that I don't get?) 

Did you do an ECT?

If I understood those above details, it would be good info ... otherwise I am confused ...

thanks for the post ...

Suffice it to say no amount of strikes was gonna do anything to that snow pack.

Thanks for posting the info here. If you have the time (or for future observations), post it up over at the NWAC observations page: http://www.nwac.us/observations/submit/

Those folks do look at the observations and often include references to them in their regional avalanche forecast discussion.

They have many great resources, but their observations page seems to be underutilized right now.

Where were you exactly? Pea Gravel? Newton Canyon proper? Did you take the newton trail up the moraine or did you come over from Gnarl Ridge?

I spend a lot of time in that canyon and will keep my eyes peeled for your brain bucket...

Great tip River I'll do that and thanks for looking out for my Blue Smith Helmet. 

"Where were you exactly? Pea Gravel? Newton Canyon proper? Did you take the newton trail up the moraine or did you come over from Gnarl Ridge?"

Gnarl Ridge?  I have considered dropping in from Cloud Cap to Gnarl and into Newton but haven't done so yet?  Have you?

I typically access the Newton from HRM gaining the ridge before potatoe patch but this day patrol had moved the access point up further so I decided to take us up Clark Canyon wall of the Newton moraine starting below the chair.  I always regret it when I do though because the ridge is actually faster as evidenced by the folks who started after us but beat us to the alpine using the ridge and dropped into Newton before us.  I only knew they had done so because the dog with them barked continuously during their entire descent.  Thank goodness more dogs aren't like that. 

We dropped in at alpine ( about dead even with the last few trees on the ridge) and skied the fall line down amongst the skatterd trees below the ridge.  Below those is a long clear section to a thick tree line near the bottom.  The helmet is in the thick tree line. 

I have never understood how the Newton ridge section above alpine got the name Pea Gravel and why it persists.  It is a moraine from top to bottom and the upper bald ridge section is just called "above alpine". 

I have been up there a few times since my last post. No sign of your helmet yet.

I have accessed Newton via the Lamberson butte area. It's never pretty dropping in, especially near the ridge line where it is always bony, but there are some nice gullies when the stars align. It is not something I get to ski often.

In winter you can always access via Tilly Jane, but I like the tour up the elk meadows trail to access Gnarl. Not sure that it is shorter, but the run out down Newton Canyon, no need for a shuttle, and the lack of crowds make up for it.

Speaking of elk meadows, I have always wanted to ski the E-SE aspects of Elk Mt, but have never found a good crossing of Newton between Bluegrass Ridge and hwy 35. Anyone know of a good route?

Recommend the search function.

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=35202.msg144384#msg144384

There are several crossings you just have to tour up our down till you find one. Obviously easier when its super cold. Beware the locs though people get pretty shifty about this zone, even though the zone is massive...

"I have been up there a few times since my last post. No sign of your helmet yet. "

Thanks river59 I appreciate you look'n out. 

Reply to this TR

12-31-mt-hood-newton-snow-test-lost-helmet
Edgesport
2016-12-31 12:15:59