Home > Trip Reports > Crystal ridge run 12/23/16

Crystal ridge run 12/23/16

12/23/16
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Kneel Turner on 12/23/16 11:40am
Well, tried to rally partners for some  BC @ x-tal, and lucked out. Silas was still up and ready for an adventure. Skied a route from Bullion/Crown/Pickhandle/bear gap/resort and found excellent conditions.
He said "Thanks for breaking", I said "You're missing out". There's something special about ski tips pushing through soft snow.
Pickhandle to bear gap was the best conditions I've stumbled upon. Too bad we got yelled at by the retro grouch for skiing across the skin track. (We are new , and don't know any better).
Friends, beers, and holiday cheer at the Elk.
Doesn't get any better.
Miss the crystal BC and beers at the Elk.....soon.

author=kneel turner link=topic=37381.msg151531#msg151531 date=1482550842]
I said "You're missing out". There's something special about ski tips pushing through soft snow.

Best quote of the year.  Indeed

Thanks Ed. The skies were blue for our west facing 1200' runs in 16" wind compressed but consistent powder. Hoping for more of the same today.

Retro Grouch! Ha!  I am so over worrying about crossing the track,  people walking in the track, etc.  You should have barked at him for putting a skin track across a nice skiable line.  Sorry I missed you guys.  Your conditions sound WAY better than what we found at Snoqualmie.

Good times out there.
I was with a group who skied ridge runs in Silver Basin (away from the now permanently closed to touring area). We found building wind slabs (4-12") at ridge top which became sensitive as the day progressed. Overall good quality powder when not wind-affected.

Reply to this TR

crystal-ridge-run-12-23-16
Kneel Turner
2016-12-23 19:40:42