Home > Forum > Group Dynamics, skiing with irregulars...

Group Dynamics, skiing with irregulars...

• Koda
  • [WayneH]
More
23 Dec 2016 10:23 #151516 by Koda
I have had only a few people I have simply clicked with while ski touring, regarding our group dynamics between the two of us. Despite any gear, fitness, experience differences we each understand each others decision’s and thought processes and when we make choices in the field they are most always in line with each other. I get the most skiing in, and accomplish the most objectives successfully, thus touring with these individuals Ive preferred just being the two of us.

But then there is the others... the rest of the people you know who tour but you dont ski with as often. Often not always in agreement as the tour/day unfolds and decision’s are made and differences are discovered we spend more time talking about it. It adds up to slower travel, altered plans or route, less accomplished, less skiing and often bailing on the objective for various reasons mostly due to running out of time. Typically I often default, as a courtesy, to accommodating the most conservative member of the group… I feel that risk factor comes to play in this and I don’t want to influence someone to do something they are not comfortable with especially with stability considerations. How does everyone handle this scenario?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Koda
  • [WayneH]
More
23 Dec 2016 22:15 #151536 by Koda
There was a day back when people loved to talk about this stuff. Is TAY dead?

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
24 Dec 2016 11:27 #151563 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: Group Dynamics, skiing with irregulars...
Communication, communication, communication

• SKIER-X
  • [SKIER-X]
More
24 Dec 2016 15:12 #151569 by SKIER-X
Replied by SKIER-X on topic Re: Group Dynamics, skiing with irregulars...
Speak up in the parking lot interview segment of the day when you're all checking transiever range (hopefully)! Any more than 1 partner becomes complex . Add a few and it can deteriorate out of control. If subdivision happens get every ones plans down. Don't get above or below others in avy. terrain . Exchange vital info ! If you have a list of golden rules regarding best safety practices and protocols , STICK WITH THEM ! No matter how many certifications or levels your new partners have achieved . Don't become a hueristic statistic. Remember ,the most dangerous B.C. segment to ski with are professional skiers on there days off. Hopefully there are many knowledgable contributors to help you on this forum. This message has been approved by SKIER-X.

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
24 Dec 2016 21:34 #151582 by mikerolfs
Replied by mikerolfs on topic Re: Group Dynamics, skiing with irregulars...
I find it's easiest if someone is the alpha. Today you are skiing with me. Tomorrow, I'm skiing with you. That way, the inconsequential decisions don't require discussion. When I'm in charge, I tell you where I want to go, and as long as you are okay with it, discussion over. We can talk minutia on the way. When it really doesn't matter left or right, it's way easier to defer to the leader (for me at least) than to discuss how we all feel about it. Similar to menu selections. Anything you order will taste good. Let one guy pick.

If we aren't equals, if someone is along for the ride and just trusting that I won't get them in trouble, then I'm going to be the alpha and point out hazards and I'll be an instructor. These tours are less satisfying to me. Its not skiing with a partner, its just taking someone on a tour.

• peteyboy
  • [peteyboy]
More
24 Dec 2016 22:56 #151584 by peteyboy
Replied by peteyboy on topic Re: Group Dynamics, skiing with irregulars...
Koda, good on you for expressing what you desire in your day and how you ensure the decision in a group is deferential to the most conservative member. That's honorable, the way to be, and not always so much fun. So helpful to get to know people in basically all other situations, like socially, then mountain biking, trail running, surfing, etc., as well as talking about comfort levels/perspectives, before being out there in it. Sizing each other up as potential partners is underrated and underutilized. Totally expected that people have different capabilities, expectations, ambitions, and risk thresholds. Totally ok to like it how you like it with who you go with.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
29 Dec 2016 19:11 #151717 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Group Dynamics, skiing with irregulars...
For pure efficiency, I've found no substitute for a trusted regular ski partner. Someone who you know, trust, and have a long-time rapport with can make decision making fast, efficient, and reliable. It takes a long time to find a good one, someone who thinks a lot like you do; they're rare.

Regulars or irregulars, I'm now becoming convinced that a proper morning meeting that addresses most major concerns, airs everyone's goals, determines plans and alternates, and comes up with an emergency plan actually lets you have a better time and go faster once you're in the field. If someone isn't a team player enough to give a fifteen minute meeting over coffee or a McMuffin a try, we probably don't want to tour with them anyway.

When conditions and the plan are simple, a morning meeting goes fast. When they're not, it's more efficient to chat about it when you're warm, rested, and happy than cold, tired, and cranky.

Also, you can't reasonably expect to push your own performance envelope with a new partner.

Streamline effective communication, ski more pow, have better adventures.

On the conservative point - ya gotta roll with the most conservative party member's concerns. It might save your life, and will certainly help the conservative party member feel like they're on a team and build some mutual trust. You can always get rad tomorrow with a different partner.

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
29 Dec 2016 21:28 #151724 by mikerolfs
Replied by mikerolfs on topic Re: Group Dynamics, skiing with irregulars...

On the conservative point - ya gotta roll with the most conservative party member's concerns. It might save your life, and will certainly help the conservative party member feel like they're on a team and build some mutual trust. You can always get rad tomorrow with a different partner.

Amen to that! I always feel grateful when I say "I don't want to ski that", and my partner says "Then we won't ski that".  And since I appreciate it so much when others do it for me, it's easier for me to do it for them. Even when I really want to ski it.

• Koda
  • [WayneH]
More
30 Dec 2016 15:25 #151740 by Koda
good replies, essentially they tell me I'm on the right path and when skiing with others its just the way it is there is no magic way to get someone on the same page as you and the important thing is to work within everyones abilities by identifying the most conservative person and working within their comfort level. I think what might make those trips go more efficiently is to learn how to identify that early, ideally the morning meeting.

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
31 Dec 2016 09:39 #151759 by T. Eastman
Replied by T. Eastman on topic Re: Group Dynamics, skiing with irregulars...
Part of my thinking is based on this premise:

If I wouldn't ski something by myself...

... why would I want to drag anyone else along?

• NWAC
  • [Friends of NWAC]
More
05 Jan 2017 09:39 #151965 by NWAC
NWAC is holding an evening of continuing education on exactly this topic on Thursday, Jan. 12. All of the workshops in the Going Deep Series are designed to improve decision making for those with experience in the backcountry - but this one will focus specifically on Teamwork and communication.

Tickets here: www.rei.com/events/going-deep-series-a-v...ation/seattle/160850

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
05 Jan 2017 10:58 #151969 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Group Dynamics, skiing with irregulars...
Thanks for the reminder -- just signed up!

• Koda
  • [WayneH]
More
05 Jan 2017 11:04 #151970 by Koda

NWAC is holding an evening of continuing education on exactly this topic on Thursday, Jan. 12. All of the workshops in the Going Deep Series are designed to improve decision making for those with experience in the backcountry - but this one will focus specifically on Teamwork and communication.

Tickets here: www.rei.com/events/going-deep-series-a-v...ation/seattle/160850

Wish you had one of these in Portland....