Home > Forum > 2017 Patrol Race Lottery Closes Jan 3rd

2017 Patrol Race Lottery Closes Jan 3rd

• nsteere
  • [nsteere]
More
23 Dec 2016 10:10 #227896 by nsteere
Finalize your team rosters while sipping holiday cheer or on your ski-touring expeditions during your time off between now and New Year's. The registration lottery will close Jan 3rd and we will draw names! As mentioned previously the race will be held on Feb 25th.

We will post the roster on our Facebook site and on the Meany web page the following Monday.

Happy Holidays from your friendly Patrol Race Coordinators

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• samthaman
  • [samthaman]
More
26 Dec 2016 20:51 #227939 by samthaman
Replied by samthaman on topic Re: 2017 Patrol Race Lottery Closes Jan 3rd
Maybe not the best place for the discussion, but what type of gear are people participating on? It seems like the course is relatively flat, which would imply that fishscale skis might be useful, but all the photos I can find show everyone on normal AT or splitboard setups.

Looks like a great event.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Dec 2016 09:29 #227941 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: 2017 Patrol Race Lottery Closes Jan 3rd

Maybe not the best place for the discussion, but what type of gear are people participating on? It seems like the course is relatively flat, which would imply that fishscale skis might be useful, but all the photos I can find show everyone on normal AT or splitboard setups. 

Last winter I wrote a fairly long post about my personal history with the Patrol Race. The thread includes some discussion of gear.

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=35914.0

Bottom line is that the fastest teams recently have been using modern skimo racing gear with skins for the ascents. In the old days they used wooden cross-country racing skis with wax. A good waxer today would likely beat the skinners on many sections of the course. But there are other sections where the reverse is true.

It's an intriguing question that can only be resolved through competition!

• samthaman
  • [samthaman]
More
27 Dec 2016 21:03 #227956 by samthaman
Replied by samthaman on topic Re: 2017 Patrol Race Lottery Closes Jan 3rd

Last winter I wrote a fairly long post about my personal history with the Patrol Race. The thread includes some discussion of gear.

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=35914.0

Bottom line is that the fastest teams recently have been using modern skimo racing gear with skins for the ascents. In the old days they used wooden cross-country racing skis with wax. A good waxer today would likely beat the skinners on many sections of the course. But there are other sections where the reverse is true.

It's an intriguing question that can only be resolved through competition!

Ok, that's helpful. I signed up for the lottery but I'm still trying to form a game plan for gear.

More
28 Dec 2016 13:02 #227966 by bbrelje
Replied by bbrelje on topic Re: 2017 Patrol Race Lottery Closes Jan 3rd
The form to sign up on Google Docs says Jan 10 - may want to update that page to avoid confusion. Crossing my fingers for a slot this year!