Home > Forum > Large skier triggered avalanche, Mt Emmons, CO

Large skier triggered avalanche, Mt Emmons, CO

• TonyM
  • [TonyM]
More
22 Dec 2016 19:07 - 23 Dec 2016 05:32 #227891 by TonyM
Just happened to be watching a lone skier ski the Red Lady Bowl from my house, thru a telescope, during considerable conditions.  Saw this in real time... 

Quickly reported the slide to the Crested Butte Avalance Center (CBAC) which at least saved an unnecessary SAR mission.  But it could have been worse... 

Good lesson in many respects including assuming what has been skied recently makes everything OK (slope was skied by 4 skiers 4 hours earlier... watched them too).  Avoid skiing thru cliff bands if possible (lone skier for some reason skied thru one - see tracks/video).  And never ski alone on avy slopes (this slope is appx 40 degrees) during considerable + conditions!

We're all fortunate to have dedicated local and passionate avalanche forecasters reporting the bigger picture for us.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2016 21:28 #227893 by Zap
Tony, I saw this and sent you an email wondering if you were at home.  Glad to see that you were not touring this day. ;)

More
23 Dec 2016 08:03 #227895 by haggis
Wow, never BC skied in CO but the lack of anchors and cold snowpack scares me just thinking about it.