Home > Trip Reports > December 16, 2016, Hurricane Ridge

December 16, 2016, Hurricane Ridge

12/16/16
WA Olympics
Posted by telemack on 12/17/16 2:19am
A brisk bluebird day (temp 7 deg. F in the AM, stayed under 20) delivered excellent roadside laps on surprisingly firm surface hoar.  Runcle and I parked at the plowed pullout before Maggie's Run, where another group had refreshed a nice roundabout skin track up to the ridge. 5' pole penetration on the first climb, but the sliding surface was relatively firm.  The HR road only opens Friday -Sunday (except all Xmas week) so skiers get several days' buildup of whatever.  I think there were several nights of hoar, very light snow, and a tiny bit of sun impact.  No face shots, instead about 8-12" penetration and fast.  Consistent light breeze from the NNE.  After the first run we were joined by Jay---nice to "get down" with you.   :)
Our little route dropped back onto the road only 200 yards from the vehicles. 
A ranger from ONP and someone from NWAC were doing stability tests yesterday.  They thought the surface hoar crystals were the biggest they'd ever seen at the ridge.  The ranger was hoping for the forecasted rising temps to destroy the layers or make them slide.  No persistent weak layers, thanks!
We also observed two spots on the NE slope below the end of the summer road that had slid to ground
but looked short from a distance. 
That dramatic hoar layer was also forming above 5k at Crystal on Thurs. could be a hazard if it doesn't warm and consolidate. Lots of wind loading and scouring in Bullion and Cement on Sat.

Updates appreciated; I was planning on going up there Friday and curious what happened to the crystals.

Reply to this TR

december-16-2016-hurricane-ridge
telemack
2016-12-17 10:19:29