Home > Trip Reports > Dec 16, 2016, Chair Peak Circumnav

Dec 16, 2016, Chair Peak Circumnav

12/16/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by ErikT on 12/16/16 6:46am
Will update with photos / conditions tonight. But overall: variable.

**lost a sony helmet cam on the climb from snow lake to chair peak lake** if found, please drop a line, and don't make fun of all my stem christi turns :)

No instabilities noted.

N face chair had windboard up high. Better down on funnel once sheltered from east winds?

Ski down to Melakwa was similar...random sucrusts and weird ice layers mixed in. Snow transport off slopes?? Thought it was going to be sheltered.

Best snow was skinning up to Bryant. If had legs for it, lapping that would have been great.

Bryan couloir was great. Little windboard up high, then chalky few inches all the way down. Face shots to source lake.

Promised pictures...

... and bump for missing sony helmet cam. should be between snow lake and chair peak lake.... money and beers! :)
Chances of it turning up only last as long as our skintrack, but in case its helpful, our track is here

Morning light on the goods...

It was nice looking back down valley:

Ethan up in Chair basin:

Looking good bootin' the skin track. He put in ~3000' of trail through the day though... so s'all good haters:

Almost dropping...

The Bryant:

We did it today and the skin track was barely viable if at all. Didn't see your camera either, sorry. Conditions same as reported yesterday without the wall to wall sunshine.

Heading there tomorrow, I'll keep an eye out for it.  Where crampons required anywhere?

No, it was skinnable the whole way on a splitboard, minus boot to North chair, but was firm in spots between snow lk and Melakwa pass. Snowed some tiny perfect snowflakes most of the day.

Thanks for trying guys. I've touched base with a few folks who have passed the area and didn't see it, so I'm resigned to the fact that it probably slid a bit downhill which probably means it's gone.. enjoy the tour!

You guys are animals! Time for us to get out there together, Erik and Ethan

Reply to this TR

dec-16-2016-chair-peak-circumnav
ErikT
2016-12-16 14:46:00