Home > Forum > Tree Well Accident @ Alpental, December 11, 2016

Tree Well Accident @ Alpental, December 11, 2016

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
12 Dec 2016 17:13 - 15 Dec 2016 15:47 #227741 by Charlie Hagedorn
Tree Well Accident @ Alpental, December 11, 2016 was created by Charlie Hagedorn
Thoughts, as always, with family and friends.

komonews.com/news/local/authorities-snoq...ce-down-in-snow-dies

Alpy map: www.summitatsnoqualmie.com/files/pdf/tra.../AlpentalMap2015.pdf

Can't find a way to link the google-news smorgasbord, but, as you'd imagine, it's a widely-covered news story with low detail.

Edited to remove incorrect fact. Gravitymk knows what he's talking about.

Edit to add extensive TGR thread: www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.p...s-on-chair-2/page146

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 Dec 2016 17:20 #227742 by pipedream
I was there when the incident happened, but I could've sworn it was in Snake Dance which had just opened 90 mins prior. I was heading-out the traverse to Snake Dance proper when I came across a group who had turned-back on the traverse. They said someone had dropped off the traverse into the trees above Felsen and I heard someone below calling for help. Patrol arrived immediately afterward and shooed us away. Perhaps they were separate incidents, but the timing of just before 1430 PST seems uncanny. Heard the emergency vehicles racing up the access road on my way back up Armstrong Express, knew it wasn't good when I saw the ambulance arriving at 3:45pm without hurry when I was heading out :(

• gravitymk
  • [gravitymk]
More
12 Dec 2016 17:42 #227743 by gravitymk
Pipedream is correct, fatality was in the area between Snake Dance and Felson

More
14 Dec 2016 15:46 #227783 by gravyb
I was on lower adrenaline and heard people shouting for help. I pondered for about 15 seconds if I should traverse over and hike up toward them as with the powder it would've taken a while to reach them. But just then I saw patrol get to them. I could hear what they were saying about CPR effort etc and it didn't sound good. Looks like they entered Snake Dance and pretty early in went sharp right toward Felsen. I feel terrible for the pour sole skiing pow with his friend and now gone from this realm. I'm sorry I wasn't early enough or in position to help, but I think the first couple minutes were the critical ones for those guys and too much time slipped by. :'( RIP.