Home > Forum > December 10 Alpy Opening Day

December 10 Alpy Opening Day

• NickD
  • [NickD]
More
10 Dec 2016 17:57 - 10 Dec 2016 18:00 #227609 by NickD
December 10 Alpy Opening Day was created by NickD
Plans to be in line well before 900 am were foiled by the very slow and tedious drive up. By the time I got to the top of Armstrong, the line for the padded seats extended well past the Pettigrew building (around 930 am).

I figured Mr. Wild was holding court in line with all the Alpy regulars but he must be training for the senior division of VertFest!

Lots of nice soft stuff everywhere. The occasional bushes and creeks were easily avoided. The traverse over to Lower Nash was even quite reasonable for opening day. Upper Nash opened about 1130 am. When I finally dropped in around noon (surprisingly easy and my rebuilt hip is thankful), the bumps were pillowy and nice. There were three red jackets blocking the Snakedance gate as some poachers probably ducked the rope.

Viz and legs gave way about 200 pm.  Need more laps for those ski muscles. Lots of smiling happy people today! Let the regulars give the rest of the story....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 Dec 2016 20:44 #227698 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: December 10 Alpy Opening Day
The drive up was indeed arduous, but us early birds arrived safely with plenty of time for socializing in line before receiving the annual safety spiel

Cov'rage was looking good, even on the International side

Earlier snow showers gave way to blue skies

Which made for a tolerable "hurry-then-wait"

And wait many did

The goods were primed

And classic Alpental conditions settled-in for the afternoon top-to-bottom grind

Snowing hard on the way out @ 1500. Another arduous morning drive on tap for tomorrow ::)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.