Home > Trip Reports > Dec 4 ONP Hurricane Hill

Dec 4 ONP Hurricane Hill

12/4/16
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 12/5/16 2:05pm
Finally a bluebird day! After a couple of typical foggy, snowy, windy, deep snow, attempts we got what we came for! And what an incredible day it was with cold temps in the teens and about a foot of light rocky mountain powder! Only enough time after breaking trail out for one run.  The Hurricane snow pack of 50 inches is close to half of it's typical full season allotment. We are off to a great start!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMR6-ipTGVFPDEMKTTsG9vkuhTM2U-xP7SuCOU9BwxQ1NfnGkbiKNU88QOAdc2Iug?key=Tm1vR1dQVVREemdidFhPMEFYckxQN01CYnl3Mnp3

It was a beautiful day up there. Which aspects did you ski? Your link didn't work for me.
Gary

Thanks Gary:

Link fixed..I hope! We skied the southeast shoulder.  How was it in your neck of the woods. Parking zone full down there on the way up. Find some untracked snow?  :)

Thanks for the report.  What time did the road open?  12/2 and 12/3 would have been a big disappointment for any non-local visitors.

The ridge road opened as scheduled I think around 10:00 with no early shut down. BUT if you are headed this way especially from afar have a plan B in the event of a road closure! It's bad enough having to drive an hour to be turned around because of a broken down plow or weather change. I wouldn't plan a vacation around it unless a high pressure system is going to be around for a while.

I spent most of the day in the ski area as it was our opening day and I was patrolling. Got one lap west of the Victoria Overlook down into Walkout Gulch at the end of the day. Good snow, although there was a bit of a crust from Friday below the 12" of new storm snow, a bit sluffy in steep spots, no slabs.

We skied Maggies the previous Sunday, it was as good as it gets.

I will say that the road crew this year is working very hard to see that the road opens whenever possible, they defiantly have a "can do" attitude and are getting good support from the Ranger staff.

For those coming this way in less than certain conditions, a good "Plan B" is to throw in your mountain bike. The Adventure Trail portion of the North Olympic Discovery trail and the cross country trails on top of Dry Hill are great alternatives. PM me for more info.

Gary

author=Gary_H link=topic=37214.msg151052#msg151052 date=1481225709]
the road crew this year is working very hard to see that the road opens whenever possible, they defiantly have a "can do" attitude and are getting good support from the Ranger staff.

Hi Gary: did you notice that the Switchback "parking" area wasn't plowed? I hope that's not a new policy. N

Actually last winter was "new policy" with it plowed out. Historically it has not been plowed as it technically is in an avalanche run out path.

Reply to this TR

dec-4-onp-hurricane-hill
runcle
2016-12-05 22:05:16