Home > Trip Reports > December 4, 2016, Snoqualmie Pass

December 4, 2016, Snoqualmie Pass

12/4/16
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 12/4/16 8:30am
A long walk in deep snow.

Coverage is poor below 4k, especially in the trees. Above 4k, in the open, trailbreaking is deep. A density bump about a foot down makes trailbreaking more arduous than normal, trapping skis beneath.

Above 4.5k, it feels more right side up. Pole penetration to the handle at 4.6k.

Alternating sun and power flurries all day.

Chatted with people who saw more terrain than we did - no slides observed.
I guess I'm chasing you from Whistler

Too deep unless steep.....

Hazards covered on ski runs - I'm sure not on trails or roads

Not sure whom cut the skin track between Felsen and Snake Dance but it was exceptional. Topped out near Knoll 1. Had an excellent view of Upper International which was untracked. After  some discussion and deteriorating weather opted to ski down Lower I not further in the BC. Started just east of Widow Maker and continued high and straight to get to Lower I Lots and lots of snow. If I had to guess 3 plus feet of new.  We were all 108 mm under foot but needed at least 130 to float. Skiing lower I was almost a straight shot was able to get a few turns in but not many for it was so deep. Take care  and ski with others one of our party found a hole and was up to his head. I have not skied Lower I with this much snow since the 70's when the pass was shut down for a week due to heavy snow (mid Feb). That time it was so deep it was straight down and took us an hour to hike to the groomed area by the cat track. Have toured here many times before the resort opens up and the creek bed from the cat track to Sessel was as deep as I have ever seen (about 5ft) and hard to get around . The snow on Sessel was nice but straight lining with a few squiggles was about all we could get by with. Met a patroller at the bottom and said that the area was now closed to uphill traffic until they open. He indicated it may happen this weekend if they can get the area ready. Don't think that is going to happen on the International side.

Would have posted some pictures but could not figure out how to do so.

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=37117.0

Reply to this TR

december-4-2016-snoqualmie-pass
Charlie Hagedorn
2016-12-04 16:30:59