Home > Trip Reports > December 1, 2016, Crystal, Silver Basin Laps

December 1, 2016, Crystal, Silver Basin Laps

12/1/16
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by thatcherk1 on 12/1/16 11:49pm
Chris, Seanboy and I got up to Silver Basin yesterday. Pow was nice, 12-18".

GoPro fall-cam here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH3y4ZVbRXc

In my defense, this is only my second season skiing, and I didn't get a lot of practice on pow last year.
So one of the tips to beginners is "learn to ski before B/C". LOL. No worries man, only way to get good in POW is to do it. I am a Level III so hopefully someone has also guided you a bit.

author=Griff link=topic=37178.msg150868#msg150868 date=1480696031]
So one of the tips to beginners is "learn to ski before B/C"

I spent last season splitting time learning at the lifts and in the BC. BC snow is a different beast. And that's the snow that I'm still working on skiing well in. I don't get in over my head. If I'm skiing snow I'm not confident in then I only do it in a safe place to fall, such as low avy risk, nice runout, soft snow in crystal BC. You won't see me flailing down the Furher Finger.

No condemnation here boss, I just thought it was ironic that both that comment and your very honest appraisal showed up days apart. I had a good friend who basically learned by following me and my partner/pro patroller Pete down Alpy's steepest and deepest. Not the text book way of doing it but if you have the gumption it will get you there pretty quickly. Keep it up!!

I forget TAY is a positive place (compared to other forums that I'm used to) and I sometimes get overly defensive.  It's all good.

My first day skiing, after my 2 hour lesson at Baker, my Ski Patrol buddy took me down North Face. I cruise NF now, but that was my first run after learning how to turn on low angled groomers.  Ever since then I've been a "trial by fire" kind of guy.

Sweet day out there, the season is off to a wonderful start

author=thatcherk1 link=topic=37178.msg150882#msg150882 date=1480722092]
I forget TAY is a positive place (compared to other forums that I'm used to) and I sometimes get overly defensive.  It's all good.

My first day skiing, after my 2 hour lesson at Baker, my Ski Patrol buddy took me down North Face. I cruise NF now, but that was my first run after learning how to turn on low angled groomers.  Ever since then I've been a "trial by fire" kind of guy.

Right on Thatcher and Amen Kameron!!

Thanks for posting this. 'Twas a great day up there!

Reply to this TR

december-1-2016-crystal-silver-basin-laps
thatcherk1
2016-12-02 07:49:27