telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/18/17, 12:39 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Paradise Cell Network Proposal - Comment Period
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paradise Cell Network Proposal - Comment Period  (Read 3267 times)
brownc9

Paradise Cell Network Proposal - Comment Period
« on: 11/30/16, 08:34 AM »

For those interested, a public comment period for installation of a cell network at Paradise is open. I stumbled across the notice while checking on how successful MRNP has been at opening the road lately (thread drift).

Make your opinions heard.

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectID=56639
thunderchief
5Member

Re: Paradise Cell Network Proposal - Comment Period
« Reply #1 on: 11/30/16, 09:01 AM »

Maybe that will help them keep the road open longer?

bwahahahahahaha i know thats a funny wishful thought.
brownc9

« Reply #2 on: 11/30/16, 09:07 AM »

Has any cell network improvement been completed so you can actually check your twitter account (which is ridiculous) while en route to the gate to see if they will open on time, or hours late? I'm trying to enjoy breakfast in Ashford if the gate's going to stay locked shut.
flowing alpy

« Reply #3 on: 11/30/16, 09:22 AM »

The more coverage the better.
This is no longer the dark ages unless one is out of cell coverage.
Brighten my kids day, get more better coverage:-)
Andrew Carey

« Reply #4 on: 11/30/16, 10:43 AM »

There is a new Verizon cell tower between Ashford and Kernahan Rd about ⅓ the way to the park.  My wife was able to call me from the Paradise Parking Lot on her Verizon dumb-cell flip-phone.  I think one of the recommendations following the Ranger's murder was improved communications within the Park--different agencies couldn't talk to one another.  If the park gets good coverage I'll get my 1st cell phone as a safety measure because I tour alone 50+% of the time.

BTW, gate openings have been pretty consistent at 9 a.m. w/o significant snow and 10 a.m. with; however as the winter goes on and the snow level lowers to 2,000 ft asl one might expect later openings after a heavy snowfall.  In any case people should be able to get cell coverage between Elbe and Ashford for planning breakast. 

There is a park radio station too, but i  have no idea if they update it re gate openings.  Many local merchants etc. (Whittaker et al.) track the Twitter, as I do, on the internet and there are some wifi hotspots in the area.
« Last Edit: 11/30/16, 10:50 AM by Andrew Carey » Logged

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
davidG

« Reply #5 on: 11/30/16, 12:04 PM »

Cellular has been better in Elbe to Park last few months and as Andy mentions Verizon has new installation near Park that I thought was going live today..  don't know if that means the signal ricochets up the river to Paradise or not.

"Maybe we should ban hikers from anywhere that there is a potential threat to surface water?"   [courtesy Newtrout, 2011]

"Good for you for getting it and thank goodness I wasn't there with you."  [courtesy mikerolfs, 2014]
Charlie Hagedorn

« Reply #6 on: 11/30/16, 12:58 PM »

The safety payoff is probably worth the compromise to the wilderness experience. Installing voice/sms but not data might strike a balance there.

Reaching a Verizon cell tower from the base of the Wilson Glacier after a ski accident may have made a substantial contribution to my present ability to walk without difficulty. It cut the time from ankle-break to hospital arrival down by about a day.

Randy

« Reply #7 on: 11/30/16, 03:15 PM »

There is a park radio station too, but i  have no idea if they update it re gate openings. 

The park uses VHF type radios for communication using some government frequency for which a normal civilian VHF radio doesn't have a standard setting (Sorry I don't know the exact frequency you ham hackers)   If you were to tune into that frequency - you could hear the plow drivers calling in as they reach various points along the route.   If you keep listening during the day,  you'll hear all the antics from the general public -- it's not uncommon for at least one car to embed in a snowbank one one of the hairpin turns over the course of weekend -- even if there isn't new snow.  The communications center is located at the "Tacoma Woods" facility in Ashford.    Tacoma Woods has a powerful radio setup -- so sometimes it relay's messages between rangers who can't communicate directly due to terrain blocking radio transmissions between the weaker handheld units.

There are also not infrequent injuries on the sledding hill -- which require medical transport to Tacoma General. 
Andrew Carey

« Reply #8 on: 11/30/16, 03:23 PM »

The park uses VHF type radios for communication using some government frequency for which a normal civilian VHF radio doesn't have a standard setting (Sorry I don't know the exact frequency you ham hackers)   If you were to tune into that frequency - you could hear the plow drivers calling in as they reach various points along the route.   If you keep listening during the day,  you'll hear all the antics from the general public -- it's not uncommon for at least one car to embed in a snowbank one one of the hairpin turns over the course of weekend -- even if there isn't new snow.  The communications center is located at the "Tacoma Woods" facility in Ashford.    Tacoma Woods has a powerful radio setup -- so sometimes it relay's messages between rangers who can't communicate directly due to terrain blocking radio transmissions between the weaker handheld units.

There are also not infrequent injuries on the sledding hill -- which require medical transport to Tacoma General. 

I was referring to local traffic radio broadcast they have going on some either very low or very high a-m frequency.

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
vogtski

« Reply #9 on: 11/30/16, 04:07 PM »

I was referring to local traffic radio broadcast they have going on some either very low or very high a-m frequency.

Here's what Andy was referring to:

"As road and weather conditions change throughout the day, traction requirements may also change. Listen to Radio 1610-AM at Paradise for updates to changing road information and requirements."

https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/winter-travel.htm

My radio doesn't work; anybody actually gotten useful info from this source?

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.