Home > Forum > Kid/Dog friendly XC spots

Kid/Dog friendly XC spots

• csaenger
  • [csaenger]
More
30 Nov 2016 10:26 #227555 by csaenger
Kid/Dog friendly XC spots was created by csaenger
A new kid means many of my "turns" this winter will be pretty mellow, but he loves being outside so XC trips are definitely do-able. Any suggestions for low angle (road or rail grade), dog friendly (not groomed) XC destinations that aren't overrun with snow machines?

Something akin to the trails near Blewett Pass, but a little closer to Seattle is what I'm thinking. Could I go ski the Stevens Pass nordic trails with the kid/dog before they officially open?

Thanks for any input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• snojones
  • [snojones]
More
30 Nov 2016 12:04 #227559 by snojones
Replied by snojones on topic Re: Kid/Dog friendly XC spots
Please remember..... Don't post hole any skin tracks. Dogs are particularly problematic for skin tracks. They tear them up and decorate the track with fecal art. I love dogs but they have no place on a skin track.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 Nov 2016 12:23 #227560 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Kid/Dog friendly XC spots
The Mount Tahoma Trails Association , located near Ashford is an excellent XC trail system that is dog friendly.
They also have huts that can be used to warm up and clean the kids diapers.
See link.

skimtta.org

• androolus
  • [androolus]
More
30 Nov 2016 12:40 #227561 by androolus
Replied by androolus on topic Re: Kid/Dog friendly XC spots
The gold creek sno-park at Hyak is an excellent place for dogs and kids. It is important to either get there early or late on weekends because it does fill up.

www.snowrec.org/gold-creek

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
30 Nov 2016 12:44 #227562 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Kid/Dog friendly XC spots
Snoqualmie nordic trails, and the nordic trail out of Hyak are both close-by options. Snoqualmie Nordic has warming huts, too.

When the snow level is low enough, sometimes you can find a place to walk in the woods, either on the road or the Iron Horse on the south side of Exit 47.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
30 Nov 2016 18:54 #227578 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Kid/Dog friendly XC spots

The Mount Tahoma Trails Association , located near Ashford is an excellent XC trail system that is dog friendly.
They also have huts that can be used to warm up and clean the kids diapers.
See link.

skimtta.org

LOTS of kids on the MTTA: snowshoeing, skiing, in backpacks, frontpacks, being pulled in pulks. The huts 4-7 miles from the Sno Parks are available for day use by all (overnight requires reservations) and are great place to warm kids up, feed them, and let them play in the snow. A regular Sno-Park permit is required; it is advised that you carry chains even with AWD. No fee for the trails or daytime hut use (a reservation fee for overnight); but donations (and memberships in this all-volunteer non-profit trails system) are welcome.

• csaenger
  • [csaenger]
More
30 Nov 2016 20:12 #227579 by csaenger
Replied by csaenger on topic Re: Kid/Dog friendly XC spots
Thanks to everyone for the great beta. This will certainly get us going, but don't let that deter more suggestions.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
30 Nov 2016 20:21 - 04 Dec 2016 11:25 #227580 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Kid/Dog friendly XC spots
The Crystal Springs Sno-Park of of exit 62 of I-90 has groomed dog sled trails starting from the north side of the sno-park lot. 

I've XC skied there with my dog a number of times.  I've seen others ski-jouring ( towed by a dog or dogs ) as well. 

Watch our for brown klister!

• Snoqualmonix
  • [alpinemorg]
More
03 Dec 2016 20:45 #227613 by Snoqualmonix
Replied by Snoqualmonix on topic Re: Kid/Dog friendly XC spots

I love dogs but they have no place on a skin track.

According to FB my dog was not psyched to see this, her response:

"Hi, My name is Rivi!
I live on Snoqualmie Pass and I get to ski with The Man or The Mom almost every day.  The Man taught me since I was a puppy (now I'm a two year old dog!) to "get behind me" when we're skiing, and to "get in the track" when we're hiking.  Even though he sounds kind of mean sometimes when he yells this at me, boy am I glad when I remember to do it!  See I'm only a 30 pound two year old dog and when the snow is really wet and heavy, even I get tired from trying to crash through it and smell things (I guess that's why The Man makes me stay home some days too, when I get tired from chasing storms, or he says I won't help in avalanche terrain even though I love to dig snow!). 

I hear The Man complaining a lot about all of the people that are up here some days and acting like everything should be the way they like it, but I love sharing the many skin tracks that him and me make (and The Mom too, because she sure stomps nice new tracks for all the people) because all of the people from the city tell me how pretty I am and ask The Mom "ohhhh, what is she!? Oh, I can totally see that!"

I hope to meet all of you fun people, and if you don't like a track that's there, we always have a great time making our own!"

Boom goes the ski patrol!
Rivi"

**dictated but not read*

More
04 Dec 2016 08:16 #227617 by khyak
Replied by khyak on topic Re: Kid/Dog friendly XC spots
Snoqualmie Pass nordic trails and ironhorse trail are not dog friendly. Both are patrolled on weekends

• AlpineRose
  • [AlpineRose]
More
04 Dec 2016 11:57 - 04 Dec 2016 12:07 #227619 by AlpineRose
Replied by AlpineRose on topic Re: Kid/Dog friendly XC spots
Generally speaking, dogs are not allowed on groomed ski trails, i.e., where people have paid for grooming, either through trail grooming fees or Sno Park fees with the grooming add-on.  It's possible there are some exceptions (Crystal Springs dogsled trails), but you'd need to research that with knowledgeable doggy owners.  The MTTA trail system is groomed (intermittently), but it's also free.  Consequently, that's one place where beings with either two or four legs are allowed, including snowshoers who need to plod six abreast, despite being asked to keep off to the side and definitely off the ski tracks. 

Another nice exception is the Methow Valley trail system, which grooms a few trails specifically for dogs. 

The Blewett Pass area has some lovely ungroomed, non-motorized areas which could work for you.  Sno Park pass (without grooming add-on) required at the pass and Pipe Creek Sno Parks.  Or if you don't mind snowmobiles, the entire Blewett area has a billion miles of Forest Service roads. 

• peaceriver
  • [strider]
More
04 Dec 2016 16:54 #227621 by peaceriver
Replied by peaceriver on topic Re: Kid/Dog friendly XC spots
I agree with Blewett pass, iron creek is voluntary non motorized area that is nice and flat along a wide open creek and gets away quickly from hwy97. Dog and kid friendly with even a couple of side roads /hills to get some quick kid friendly elevation for a slide or a sled. It was/has been a favorite, and gets just enough skiers to have a couple of causal tracks in wishing a day of fresh.