Home > Forum > Paradise Cell Network Proposal - Comment Period

Paradise Cell Network Proposal - Comment Period

• brownc9
  • [brownc9]
More
30 Nov 2016 08:34 #227549 by brownc9
For those interested, a public comment period for installation of a cell network at Paradise is open. I stumbled across the notice while checking on how successful MRNP has been at opening the road lately (thread drift).

Make your opinions heard.

parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectID=56639

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• thunderchief
  • [thunderchief]
More
30 Nov 2016 09:01 #227550 by thunderchief
Replied by thunderchief on topic Re: Paradise Cell Network Proposal - Comment Period
Maybe that will help them keep the road open longer?

bwahahahahahaha i know thats a funny wishful thought.

• brownc9
  • [brownc9]
More
30 Nov 2016 09:07 #227551 by brownc9
Has any cell network improvement been completed so you can actually check your twitter account (which is ridiculous) while en route to the gate to see if they will open on time, or hours late? I'm trying to enjoy breakfast in Ashford if the gate's going to stay locked shut.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 Nov 2016 09:22 #227552 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Paradise Cell Network Proposal - Comment Period
The more coverage the better.
This is no longer the dark ages unless one is out of cell coverage.
Brighten my kids day, get more better coverage:-)

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
30 Nov 2016 10:43 - 30 Nov 2016 10:50 #227556 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Paradise Cell Network Proposal - Comment Period
There is a new Verizon cell tower between Ashford and Kernahan Rd about ⅓ the way to the park.  My wife was able to call me from the Paradise Parking Lot on her Verizon dumb-cell flip-phone.  I think one of the recommendations following the Ranger's murder was improved communications within the Park--different agencies couldn't talk to one another.  If the park gets good coverage I'll get my 1st cell phone as a safety measure because I tour alone 50+% of the time.

BTW, gate openings have been pretty consistent at 9 a.m. w/o significant snow and 10 a.m. with; however as the winter goes on and the snow level lowers to 2,000 ft asl one might expect later openings after a heavy snowfall. In any case people should be able to get cell coverage between Elbe and Ashford for planning breakast.

There is a park radio station too, but i have no idea if they update it re gate openings. Many local merchants etc. (Whittaker et al.) track the Twitter, as I do, on the internet and there are some wifi hotspots in the area.

More
30 Nov 2016 12:04 #227558 by davidG
Cellular has been better in Elbe to Park last few months and as Andy mentions Verizon has new installation near Park that I thought was going live today.. don't know if that means the signal ricochets up the river to Paradise or not.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
30 Nov 2016 12:58 #227565 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Paradise Cell Network Proposal - Comment Period
The safety payoff is probably worth the compromise to the wilderness experience. Installing voice/sms but not data might strike a balance there.

Reaching a Verizon cell tower from the base of the Wilson Glacier after a ski accident may have made a substantial contribution to my present ability to walk without difficulty. It cut the time from ankle-break to hospital arrival down by about a day.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
30 Nov 2016 15:15 #227570 by Randito

There is a park radio station too, but i  have no idea if they update it re gate openings. 

The park uses VHF type radios for communication using some government frequency for which a normal civilian VHF radio doesn't have a standard setting (Sorry I don't know the exact frequency you ham hackers) If you were to tune into that frequency - you could hear the plow drivers calling in as they reach various points along the route. If you keep listening during the day, you'll hear all the antics from the general public -- it's not uncommon for at least one car to embed in a snowbank one one of the hairpin turns over the course of weekend -- even if there isn't new snow. The communications center is located at the "Tacoma Woods" facility in Ashford. Tacoma Woods has a powerful radio setup -- so sometimes it relay's messages between rangers who can't communicate directly due to terrain blocking radio transmissions between the weaker handheld units.

There are also not infrequent injuries on the sledding hill -- which require medical transport to Tacoma General.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
30 Nov 2016 15:23 #227571 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Paradise Cell Network Proposal - Comment Period

The park uses VHF type radios for communication using some government frequency for which a normal civilian VHF radio doesn't have a standard setting (Sorry I don't know the exact frequency you ham hackers)   If you were to tune into that frequency - you could hear the plow drivers calling in as they reach various points along the route.   If you keep listening during the day,  you'll hear all the antics from the general public -- it's not uncommon for at least one car to embed in a snowbank one one of the hairpin turns over the course of weekend -- even if there isn't new snow.  The communications center is located at the "Tacoma Woods" facility in Ashford.    Tacoma Woods has a powerful radio setup -- so sometimes it relay's messages between rangers who can't communicate directly due to terrain blocking radio transmissions between the weaker handheld units.

There are also not infrequent injuries on the sledding hill -- which require medical transport to Tacoma General. 

I was referring to local traffic radio broadcast they have going on some either very low or very high a-m frequency.

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
30 Nov 2016 16:07 #227574 by Gary Vogt

I was referring to local traffic radio broadcast they have going on some either very low or very high a-m frequency.

Here's what Andy was referring to:

"As road and weather conditions change throughout the day, traction requirements may also change. Listen to Radio 1610-AM at Paradise for updates to changing road information and requirements."

www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/winter-travel.htm

My radio doesn't work; anybody actually gotten useful info from this source?