Home > Forum > New Skis advice

New Skis advice

• thatcherk1
  • [thatcherk1]
More
28 Nov 2016 14:08 #227521 by thatcherk1
New Skis advice was created by thatcherk1
Last year was my first season skiing. I bought what the shop recommended for a beginner quiver ski: Voile V6. I have no performance complaints, but I'd like a lighter ski. Many of my objectives are big, and climbing-related. I hated dragging my V6's up Baker N. Ridge last year. Also wasn't fun dragging them up Rainier.

Anyhow, since I don't have any experience on other skis, I don't know where V6's land in terms of weight-performance ratio. I'm looking at the Cho Oyo and Hannibal 94's as options. Both would save me 2lbs.

On top of Ski-mo, I enjoy the few powder days to be had, and spring volcano corn. I do some days at the lifts, but mainly just for training, so I can be stronger in the backcountry.

Does anyone have experience with the Hannibal 94 in particular and how it may compare to the V6 as a quiver ski? Any recommendations for other skis worth checking out. Will these 5-ish LB skis ski poorer than the V6 for my intended uses?

And if this isn't the right forum to post this, are there any other good touring forums to check out on the internet?

Thanks everybody!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
28 Nov 2016 21:45 - 28 Nov 2016 21:55 #227537 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: New Skis advice
No experience with the Hannibal 94's but since you asked for other recommendations I would suggest the DPS Cassiar 95 Tour1.

The Cassiar is not a DPS ski you see much of in the PNW with the more powder orientated 112's or 99's being more prevalent out here in the land of deep cruddy snow.
A much overlooked ski IMHO.

I have just started skiing the Cassiar 95 and it holds an  edge and has grip like shit on an army blanket. It also has a flat tail which is I think desirable in a mountaineering ski.

I skied them on spring volcano corn last season and really like them. They also rip the groomers.

The tour 1 version is the lightweight  cap construction specifically made for touring and has had great reviews.

1460 g weight .

www.dpsskis.com/en/cassiar-977.html

www.backcountry.com/dps-skis-cassiar-95-tour1-ski
Expensive but I'm an unabashed DPS fan boy!!!

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 Nov 2016 08:40 #227540 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: New Skis advice

Last year was my first season skiing.
And if this isn't the right forum to post this, are there any other good touring forums to check out on the internet?

Thanks everybody!

Greg @Alpinezone.com

• HappyCamper
  • [Greenwood Man]
More
29 Nov 2016 12:05 #227543 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic Re: New Skis advice
Just from personal (more limited admittedly) experience, I like how my K2 Waybacks ski (resort and touring). New models are in the 5+lb range.

Maybe the larger selling point is their relative low cost (last year's on sale for $375).

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
29 Nov 2016 18:59 #227546 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: New Skis advice
Different skis for different conditions and objectives. 

The North Ridge of Baker is serious ski mountaineering descent-- rated as a extreme descent here:

www.skimountaineer.com/CascadeSki/CascadeSki.php?name=Baker

The Voile V6 wouldn't be the ideal ski under most conditions for that route -- Many people would choose a narrower ski with less sidecut for that steep of a descent for stronger edging on steep firm snow (if the snow was soft, the North Ridge of Baker would have very high avalanche risk IMO)

A 94 mm waisted ski vs a 99mm waisted ski alone won't make that big a difference in edging -- However Voile skis also tend to be on the soft side (Voile is based in Utah -- home of fluffy powder, not Cascade Concrete)

Here is one guide's advice list for ski gear for clients doing the Haute Route in Europe. HTH

www.cosleyhouston.com/haute-route-eq-list.htm

• thatcherk1
  • [thatcherk1]
More
29 Nov 2016 19:43 #227548 by thatcherk1
Replied by thatcherk1 on topic Re: New Skis advice
Let me clarify. I skied the Coleman Demming, but climbed the North Ridge. I didn't enjoy having my Voile's strapped to my back while climbing two pitches of alpine ice.

Anyone have experience with the Black Diamond Helio 95? It seems like a similar ski to the Fischer.

• Nate Frederickson
  • [natefred]
More
30 Nov 2016 10:09 #227554 by Nate Frederickson
Replied by Nate Frederickson on topic Re: New Skis advice
I have not skied the Hannibal or Cho Oyu but for what you like to do they look like excellent choices. The lighter construction skis generally do not ski as well in a variety of conditions (heavy snow and funky conditions) and at higher speeds. You will notice the difference in width & flotation compared to your V6's.

Between the Hannibal & Cho Oyu, the Cho Oyu has more sidecut / tighter edge radius. Something I like but is not for everyone. Generally easier to initiate turns.

Find a way to try out the skis you are interested in, even if it is difficult or expensive to find a pair you can demo or borrow. Get a lift ticket and ski them in the widest variety of conditions you can find, preferably skiing both on the same day so you can compare. It will pretty quickly become clear what you prefer to ski.

If you spend any time lapping powder with friends I'd hang on to the V6's or replace them with a wider ski.

More
30 Nov 2016 12:53 #227563 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: New Skis advice
I'll throw in my two cents... I've been recently looking for a replacement for my Dynafit Manaslus... never really liked them, but would like to find something just as light if not lighter with a similar waist.
I was thinking about the Cassiar 95 too...but oof! thats a hefty pricetag for those.
I've got a pair of BD Carbon Converts that I think are fantastic skis...if the Helio 95 came in a length that worked for me, I'd probably get it, but with its 10cm jumps between lengths, I'd either be going shorter or longer than my usual ski size.

You might wanna read some reviews on these two boards - both have a 95mm waist and are lightweight construction, though the Blizzard is definitely the lighter of the two.

Blizzard Zero G 95
Salomon MTN Explore 95

More
04 Dec 2016 08:12 #227616 by khyak
Replied by khyak on topic Re: New Skis advice
I have the Salomon MTN 95, and think it's a great ski. With the tip profile it does excellent in powder as well. For the serious mank days I have the fatter MTN labs, but really was suprised how well the 95 does in all conditions. Previous skis were volkl nanuq, atomic kailas. Skis just keep getting better! I tend to stay away from superlight skis. A little heft is a good thing. Save weight by getting dynafits without brakes and watch that your boots aren't too heavy. Again, I prefer the down over the up and prefer a medium weight boot.