November 26, 2016, Whistler

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
26 Nov 2016 18:09 #227504 by Charlie Hagedorn
November 26, 2016, Whistler was created by Charlie Hagedorn
The forecast was incorrect in the very best way. Deep led to deeper through the day. Just enough snow now to ski to the Village from the Whistler side.

Best run was near the Crystal chair, just before Patrol shut it down, perhaps due to too many people pushing the deep but unsettled conditions too hard.

Thank you, Scott, Andrew, and Julie for a very fine day.

Will tomorrow's warming spoil the party? Time will tell.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CascadeSkier
  • [CascadeSkier]
More
27 Nov 2016 18:16 #227510 by CascadeSkier
Replied by CascadeSkier on topic Re: November 26, 2016, Whistler
...a tremendous day of deep powder skiing at Blackcomb for sure...my day was ruined, however, when I happened across a fatal incident in the dark trees between Arthur' Choice and Outer Limits...

www.whistlerquestion.com/news/local-news...b-mountain-1.3259305

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
27 Nov 2016 20:27 #227511 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: November 26, 2016, Whistler
So sorry to hear that. Must have been hard. I know that area well. I've been hearing bits of information.

More
29 Nov 2016 17:26 #227544 by RonL
Replied by RonL on topic Re: November 26, 2016, Whistler
Ugh, that's awful man. I'm guessing treewell? I was wondering about that danger while I was up there riding that day too. The tree wells weren't as big as later in the season when it's more on my mind but the snow in the trees was so unconsolidated that it was tough going if you stopped. I imagine crashing wrong could create a situation.

• CascadeSkier
  • [CascadeSkier]
More
30 Nov 2016 15:36 #227572 by CascadeSkier
Replied by CascadeSkier on topic Re: November 26, 2016, Whistler

I'm guessing treewell? I was wondering about that danger while I was up there riding that day too. The tree wells weren't as big as later in the season when it's more on my mind but the snow in the trees was so unconsolidated that it was tough going if you stopped.

Lack of consolidation was a factor, for sure. Saturday was a storm day, as you might remember. Just stopping at a tree to generate some yellow snow was hazardous in its own right -- the trees were dumping their load due to the combined forces of gravity and wind -- I just missed getting clobbered by a few hundred pounds of freshie that was falling dozens of feet to earth. But more to the point as to what tripped up the boarder (respect, RIP) was a combination of tree well and rock well. About 1/3 down Arthur's skier's right is a small, not-so-prominent cliff band -- and getting through is often dicey. Imagine a blind turn around a boulder, with a depression and a tree to greet you. With lack of consolidation, the path wasn't always clear. I pulled/dug 3 riders out from holes during my 3 runs through this zone on Sat. Eventually, patrol pulled the plug on the Crystal chair. IMHO, this was wise given the powder frenzy that was under way.
Attachments:

More
30 Nov 2016 16:16 #227575 by RonL
Replied by RonL on topic Re: November 26, 2016, Whistler
That was a whopper of a storm cycle. There was trouble to be had off the groomed stuff. I saw a lot frantic searches for lost skis in waist deep pow and painfull looking posthole paths as people abandoned attempts to ride to the bottom. there was lots of fun too but I'm bummed it turned to tragedy as well. Thanks for the additional info, I will try to keep it as a caution sign in the back of my mind for the future.