Home > Trip Reports > January 3, 2006, Paradise

January 3, 2006, Paradise

1/3/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Rickster on 1/3/06 5:48pm
A combination of new snow and a RDO- so off to check out Paradise!

We planned to skin up Golden gate area, over and down to 4th crossing and look around Mazama; but I've learned this lesson: Never leave Good Snow.

We were concerned about the snow bonds and possible slabs- so planned to spend some time digging.  Stopped at little knoll below golden gate, picked aspects (S & SE) and starting digging.  We both found the same things: nice snow for about 8 to 12 inches, ice layer another foot and another ice layer.  Shear tests had Q1 shear; but had to pull pretty hard- looked good to me; but Marco wanted to keep digging.  I traveled on and up climbers right of golden Gate.  Dug another quick pit about 1/3 up ridge in about the center, more snow same basic results.  Snow was pretty dry, big hand full took pressure to get it to stick and finaly compacted into little ball.

Traveled up and kept trying ski pole tests- a foot to 2 above the ice layer- hard to push the handle through, it was getting steep.  Stopped for another quick pit about 2/3 up the ridge- same results; just dryer and deeper snow.  It was getting hard to set tracks, visibility was bad and the wind was blowing- hum the telemetry showed calm to light winds?

Skied several runs on climbers right of Golden Gate area- steeper slopes and less big rocks under the snow- never hit anything (new skis!).  We finially got tired of the wind and low visibilty and climbed ridge to ski Golden Gate and Edith Creek- my favorite run back to the parking lot.  

Marco actually dug a Ruschblock(?) on the knoll.  He wrote down the results; but I left it in the Van- I think he said things fell apart on second hard jump- R6(?).  It mostly just crushed under his weight- I think he had his heavy pack on- at least that's his story.  Basicaly pretty safe other then the sluff and since we forgot gogles we were hating those face shots- all day long!

Reply to this TR

january-3-2006-paradise
Rickster
2006-01-04 01:48:19