Home > Trip Reports > November 16,17,18 - 2016, Rock Mountain

November 16,17,18 - 2016, Rock Mountain

11/16/16
Posted by DOD on 11/16/16 10:44am
The price of admission is currently 2000ft of carry.

Transition to skins at 5000ft. Rock Mountain is a give'r and I love this place for it's big mountain feel with rapid access straight off the Highway. Once above 5400ft, It really feels like you have entered an alternate universe.

Visibility was in and out, and not much to see further up on rock, but good clarity from the ridge down towards rock lake. Bottomless turns and excellent quality of snow all the way down  to the Lake. No wind effect. It was like the snow simply slipped vertically from the wings of angels. Still some early season bumps and lumps inter-fearing with an otherwise consistent pitch. Super fun skiing down to rock lake proper and further into the artillery zone...

Super fun meadow skipp'n down the ridge on more effortless and bottomless turns to exit.

This is my first season living in Leavenworth and it's challenging to find good early season quarter in this neck of the woods. It's not the ski in ski out convenience of Raindog, but when in Rome.... eat the pizza??

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/s960x960/15025553_10154810377834575_7811560373756221743_o.jpg" />

2000' straight up from the car? Pretty reasonable price for the snow in those pictures! Nice work DOD!

Sweet! Early season is slim Pickens on highway 2. Even if you are willing to pay the price.

Any idea how much snow at smith brook's rainy pass? I did the west face from Smith Brook(snow Creek) side a few weeks ago. Highly recommended over the south if you can get there. 2'000'+  of perfectly pitched* slopes with nothing but grass. Bareley a rock or shrub... entry fee is less, and more enjoyable too.

Seen another set of solo tracks coming from the south route, once I was on the ridge that day. I just assumed it was mike rolfs😀. Missed whoever it was by minutes..

*Prime avi angle, not an anchor to be found... none. It's all grass. Wet grass makes a good bed surface.

I've been looking for a while, I think if you could time it right there are good options up Little Wenatchee River Rd and maybe Chiwawa but its a matter of timing mountain vs valley snow and gate closures.

Or just drive to Washington pass.

"It was like the snow simply slipped vertically from the wings of angels." ah, true poetry. Dod, you have such a way with words.

a few more pictures over the next few days with better visibility

Rainy pass side is still good to go as of yesterday (might be changing now). I'd guess about a foot at the pass - road was driveable in a low clearance awd without much concern. Very brushy getting to the trialhead / lots of car scraping

Still good up there!

We skinned from about 4900'. Great skiing up high, and good stability.

Get after it!

Reply to this TR

november-16-17-18-2016-rock-mountain
DOD
2016-11-16 18:44:16