Home > Trip Reports > Nov 4 ONP, Obst. Point

Nov 4 ONP, Obst. Point

11/4/16
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 11/4/16 10:09am
Lots of approach for little vertical. Bike assist out to mile 6 where snow begins..then intermittent snow to Obst. Party sunny am turning mostly cloudy pm. Mixed bag with frozen granular, wind pack, ice, sastrugi, challenging conditions and extreme wind.  Steady 40 mph with gust knocking me to my knees so maybe 80+ especially in the low saddles along the road. Those gusts are not that far fetched as telemetry shows a gust of 79 on Nov 2 at the Ridge. A net loss of snow up there since my last visit on Oct 23!

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMjZC-XJcNVto7yHNv7LUDHqiphJtALtL30rqFF
We had to literally crawl down the hogsback below Heliotrope today or be blown into the abyss.  Skiing up high was good tho.

Snoholic, just wondering how was the road? Will fwd car with snows make it to the trailhead, or awd needed? Crevasses nice and visible? Thanks.

Sorry for the threaddrift Runcle. The road is passable by a Prius with slicks currently if desired. We were going for the summit and took a direct line up. The C/D route had many open creavasses, glacier gear recommended. From what I could see the more popular area of Helio was pretty filled in. Lots of people on Helio.

Thanks snoholic, and my apologies too, runcle, for the drift. Good you both got out and got some turns. Didn't look so windy from a distance, but obviously was pretty gusty both days!

Doug, good effort at HR again.  I've been watching the snow level in the Olympics creep upwards. 
Too much rain in the wrong places!
Your link to Google photos would not open. 
Is the HR road now only open Friday through Sunday?

Mack: 

The Ridge phone message says "weather permitting the Ridge Rd. is open 24 hrs a a day. The park web site says the road may close on short notice due to weather or unsafe road conditions.  Possibly personnel changes this winter season so stay tuned!

All the warmth and rain over the last couple of weeks is taking its toll on the early snowpack especially on the high peaks on the periphery of the park, eg. Elk, Victor, etc. Having said that I was happy to be able to bike out to snow rather than be biking out in snow.

Reply to this TR

nov-4-onp-obst-point
runcle
2016-11-04 17:09:55