Home > Trip Reports > October 29, 2016, Muir Snowfield

October 29, 2016, Muir Snowfield

10/29/16
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by BenJ on 10/30/16 7:07am
I made it up to Paradise and MRNP for the first time yesterday, man is there a lot of good terrain up there! We were able to begin skinning in the flats below Pan Point, although the recent rains seem to have melted out a lot of this season's snow. Above Pan Point and up the snowfield to about 8,600 feet (our high point) there was 3-5 inches or so of wind-boardy new snow over a firmer base. I might not call it powder, but pretty darn close. Visibility was generally poor except for ~45 minutes of clearing around noon. Overall, killer skiing for October. Can't wait for more snow.
author=BenJ link=topic=36990.msg150351#msg150351 date=1477865253]
I made it up to Paradise and MRNP for the first time yesterday, man is there a lot of good terrain up there! We were able to begin skinning in the flats below Pan Point, although the recent rains seem to have melted out a lot of this season's snow. Above Pan Point and up the snowfield to about 8,600 feet (our high point) there was 3-5 inches or so of wind-boardy new snow over a firmer base. I might not call it powder, but pretty darn close. Visibility was generally poor except for ~45 minutes of clearing around noon. Overall, killer skiing for October. Can't wait for more snow.

Killer! Glad you got a pretty good first time.

Thanks for the TR.
I like to read about MRNP skiing, then check the webcams for the Tatoosh and the parking lot  :)

Skiing was good on 28th.
Why can't I post pictures?

author=kamtron link=topic=36990.msg150370#msg150370 date=1478031858]
Skiing was good on 28th.
Why can't I post pictures?

I couldn't figure out how to post pictures either, not sure if it's my lack of tech savviness or if there's something wrong with the site.

It's a site bug. The upload is not available at the moment.

Just upload your pictures somewhere like imgur or flickr and link them with the img tag

TAY shouldn't even offer to host images when there are plenty of free, high-quality alternatives out there.

The great thing about TAY-hosted images is that they are largely immune to link rot. You can go back to 2004, and most photos are still there.

Second what Charlie said, TAY is a useful archive. TR value is diminished when the image links rot away. If I wanted my TRs to disappear the next day I would just post to FB. 

Make TAY great again! Bring back photos!

There are a couple shots of the trip I took with Ben last weekend up Rainier on my Instagram if you wanna have a look.

https://www.instagram.com/caseymommer/

Reply to this TR

october-29-2016-muir-snowfield
BenJ
2016-10-30 14:07:33