Home > Trip Reports > October 22, 2016, Washington Pass powder laps

October 22, 2016, Washington Pass powder laps

10/22/16
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by toddball on 10/23/16 4:40am
photos here

Plenty of snow to skin from Blue Lake TH.  Crust up to 6500' or a bit higher, with an inch of fresh gradually becoming about 20" of fresh up to and around the Blue Peak col.  Skied the upper part of Madison Avenue, then hopped a small cornice back down to the bench at the top of Spire Gully, repeat, then out Spire Gully.  The exit was definitely survival skiing below 6000', but at least there weren't any trees to contend with.  Overall one of my best days of PNW skiing, but I haven't been out here very long.

Yee-Haw, bruthahs! Way to sniff it out and take it home!!!

Photo album link fixed, I hope.

How was stability ? Looked like you all ascended in a tight group on a loaded slope next to fresh avalanche debris. What did your pit below the  cornice reveal ? Skiing looked super fun !  X

Did not observe any loose or slab failure while skinning.  We had a hard time identifying specific layers in the pit, although there was a noticeable density increase at around 50cm depth (total depth around 120cm).  Could not get a column to fail under compression. 

There was some thin wind slab high up in Spire Gully, though.

Great to meet you Todd and the rest of your crew up there.  Thanks for the photos.  Good start to the season!

Thanks for the intel. Toddball #(-;(>

Man that looks FUN!

Nice work!

I would not worry too much about pit results in October but good on you for digging.

Reply to this TR

october-22-2016-washington-pass-powder-laps
toddball
2016-10-23 11:40:25