Home > Forum > Rocket Box - what do you like?

Rocket Box - what do you like?

• Chamois
  • [Chamois]
More
17 Oct 2016 15:20 #227395 by Chamois
Rocket Box - what do you like? was created by Chamois
Downsized a bit to a Subie Crosstrek - looking for a cargo box - Yakima Carbonite 16 seems to take 180 skis - any advice for shopping - might as well get it now before the snow flies

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
17 Oct 2016 16:06 #227396 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Rocket Box - what do you like?
I've owned a couple of Thule boxes over the last two decades -- they have worked well.   I ended up with two because I took the kids on a ski trip in the mini-van and they each brought a friend so with 7 people in the car -- we needed a second box for luggage.

I like the cheaper plastic versions -- it's easy to drill additional holes in the bottom when you buy a different car or lend it to a friend.

I've found that when you misjudge the height of something by a couple of inches in parking garage the somewhat flexible plastic bounces back without complaint -- The more expensive boxes are more stylish looking -- but as a friend of my discovered they don't bounce off of SeaTac parking garage beams without complaint.

• androolus
  • [androolus]
More
20 Oct 2016 16:29 #227413 by androolus
Replied by androolus on topic Re: Rocket Box - what do you like?
I prefer Yakima because they have a lever for added leverage when opening the box. One time it was raining hard in town and quite cold at Snoqualmie pass. Apparently I let water get in the latching mechanism when I put my skis in my thule box. The thule key only mechanism did not provide adequate leverage to open the box.

The part that was frozen was inside the box, not anywhere near the key, so heating the lock did not help. I haven't tested letting things get frozen with my new Yakima lever based system. Hopefully I can avoid this next time anyways by drying out the 3 latching slots before closing the box in a downpour.

• Chamois
  • [Chamois]
More
21 Oct 2016 11:54 #227417 by Chamois
Replied by Chamois on topic Re: Rocket Box - what do you like?
Thanks - looking at a Yakima Skybox 16 that will take 185 cm skis. Given I don't ski with any really big folks that looks to work.

More
28 Oct 2016 22:37 #227430 by TN
Replied by TN on topic Re: Rocket Box - what do you like?
Hate my Thule. Can be impossible to latch and lock when it is snowing hard. When open, snow gets in finger sized cups that locking piece must fit into, "safety pin" in the cups prevents clearing the snow, slightest bit of snow means the pin doesn't get depressed fully and locking bar cannot be engaged! POOR system for the Northwest!