10/9/16
US elsewhere
Posted by MW88888888 on 10/10/16 11:53am
Day 2
October 9th, 2016
Mt Sherman (14,036'), Mosquito Range, Colorado

I skied Mt Sherman yesterday.

But not very much of it.

It wasn't as if I was expecting much and usually that nonchalance yields fine results in the high Rocky Mountains - I mean, certainly above 13,000' the last two storms would blow in a line - no matter how short.  Right? 

But alas, without actually seeing the mountain and its impact from the recent storms, well, sometimes you just have to buy the ticket and take the ride.

I decided to park just at the start of the real 4X4, maybe 12,000', just where the old mining piles become steep and the trail unpleasant.

It's a good thing I like The Martian because that's what the scene ahead reminded me of, a barren, somewhat colorful landscape of wind, rock and sun.

And not much snow.  Some blown in as expected just along the ridge crest above the col and some other patches above perhaps, but the Northwest to Northeast snowfields were not filled in at all.  This upper 500 - 1000 feet was really what I was after, and a walk out for a fun circuit but the early season pack was non existent.

Rats.

There were two things I knew, however:

1.  Never underestimate the High Mountains, there is always skiing
2.  Never underestimate the stupidity/perseverance of yours truly when it comes to skiing.  If there was any snow at all that would support 10 turns in a row, I would ski it

So, with that little internal lecture over, I left my truck with my snowboard flying high like a proud unabbashed freak flag.  Or at least the most visible sign of an exercise in futility.

There was not a breath of wind on the summit and the day progressed in the most unusual bit of pleasant weather I've ever experienced on a 14'er.  The temps were in the 40s on top and with the sun baking down at altitude, downright nice. I met and chatted with a delightful group of three women from Denver on the top and another solo women who made the top first.  A great day to be outdoors and folks were all smiles.

The snowboard down was way, way, way too short.  I danced down the 10-foot-wide wind drift for a couple hundred vertical feet, rocketed out across the flat col toward the down trail, pulled up at the rocks, and the ski was over.

Of course, I had to walk up for another run.

I made the round trip in about 4 hours, maybe 2,000 VF of climbing and 200 VF of skiing.  It was not a bad day at all.  The sun was shining, Sherman was the 15th 14er I'd climbed and (somewhat) skied, and so all was right in the world.

I mean, let's face it, I could still be living in New York.

Reply to this TR

october-9-2016-mt-sherman-14-036-colorado
MW88888888
2016-10-10 18:53:58