Home > Trip Reports > January 1, 2005, Tetons, Wyoming

January 1, 2005, Tetons, Wyoming

1/1/05
US elsewhere
Posted by fheimer on 1/1/06 10:44pm
Went to Wyoming for 5 days of backcountry skiing around the Tetons.  If you have never been there the access is awesome, the snow light and the people abundant but mostly helpfull.  We skied mainly at Teton pass and at a mountain named 25 short which is located at the base of the tetons.  Four out of five days had 10" or more of new light snow, the locals complained it was heavy but they don't ski the cascades.  The crowds stay close to the pass because there are great turns to be had literally from your car door. If you hike a bit there are many fine lines away from the crowds.  There is that little resort called Jackson Hole but I just couldn't bring myself to through $75 away to stand in lines and mingle with crowds.  Local back country skiers, a back country ski shop and a comprehensive avalanche advisory provided all the info needed for safe and excellent turns.   ;D    
Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for sharing your adventure.

Nice nice.  25 Short was my first ever backcountry tour - a fun mountain as I recall.   I'm a bit jealous.

ahh Teton Pass!!!

many good memories from that place! Glad you had a good time!

Hey , Were headed there in a week 1/2, Anymore info on those Teton tours, other than 25 short. Were going to ski, Bridger, The Geee, Some Teton Tours and of course JH.(Since  it's the last year of the tram). I'm a little worried that it's so good now but in two weeks it's going to be hammered out by then. More touring I guess>

Thanks for any info  brad

Wilson Backcountry Sports at the base of Teton Pass (on the Wyoming side).

Good people and they'll have all you need to know.

I second that motion.  Wilson sports gave us all the beta we needed.  There is a photo atlas of the area that has great aerial photos of most of the good spots and a cheap topo available at the shop.  Other than that talk to the locals.  Some are a little bit, how do I say this, not so good at sharing, but many are really great people.  Have great time.  I write a trip report to let us know how it went.

Check out Togwotee (sp?) Pass also, it's a little bit further, but a lot less crowded than teton pass.  

And if you must ski at a ski area (like, say, when it pounds and Teton Pass is closed), check out Grand Targee.  If you're in the game for Powder, it can be found off the lifts here on a powder day.  Of course if Teton Pass is closed, then scratch Targee and go for JH.  If you ski the lifts at Jackson Hole, ski the backside, it will blow your mind.  

The photo atlas is a must have.

I was skiing Teton Pass over New Years as well. Good times but I was stoped at the pass on 1/1/06 to let a heli land to transport an avy victim (he survived with a broken arm). I just heard that someone died at the pass today. All the new snow they are getting is great and all but they could really use some high pressure stabilization.

This is great.  I am a Seattleite and have been living in Jackson since Jan 1st.  I came here to take Avy II with the American Avy Institute and the AMGA Ski Guiding course.  During the AMGA course we skied "25 Short", Albright, Glory Bowl and did a two day Trans Teton tour starting at JHR.  It was epic. The snow pack here is solid and the snow stays consistently light.  It also doesn’t seem to go more than 4 days without some new snow.  I don’t want to leave.

I have the ski atlas, which everyone who lives and plays here seems to have, it’s great… and I buckled and bought the $100 Nat Geo TOPO software maps.  We’ve been skiing Glory bowl every morning since it’s so easy to access – Park the car, boot pack up 1,800 feet and you have many safe ski options and freshies.  

Thanks for the tip on Wilson BC sports.. I’ll stop by there.  I am looking at the TOPO wondering if anyone skis Mount Hunt (10,783), just North of JHR, or Shadow Peak (10,725).  Does anyone know?  

I have blogged about some of the tours we did and there are some photos as well.

I spent some time up there in 2003 taking my AV 2 course from the AAI and couldn't believe how incredible the access and powder were.  We took our feild sessions at Teton Pass and ventured in all directions.  I remember Glory Bowl well.  I'm actually headed there again 3 weeks for my AV 3 course.  I can't wait, its 2 days in the class with some field work and then 2 nights/3 days in Teton Nat Park.  Can't wait to get back and use some of the info here in the Cascades.  Glad you enjoyed the trip.  I highly suggest all to visit, even if you have to shell out the almost $80 for JH.

Reply to this TR

january-1-2005-tetons-wyoming
fheimer
2006-01-02 06:44:31