telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
06/22/17, 11:26 AM

Support Snohomish County's
Helicopter Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Snow Kiting
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Snow Kiting  (Read 14381 times)
Ski4beer
5Member

Snow Kiting
« on: 08/24/16, 09:47 AM »

Does anyone have any experience with snowkiting? I'm trying to combine my summer and winter sports. I'm looking for places to try it within driving distance of Seattle.

Thoughts?
river59
5Member

Re: Snow Kiting
« Reply #1 on: 08/24/16, 10:52 AM »

It is hard to find flatish areas with consistent wind, but I hear that Keechelus Lake, near Hyak is a good spot. I have also seen some interesting snowkiting TRs from Idaho and Saint Helens.

I would search the forums of TGR and pskite.org for snowkiting TRs...
vogtski

« Reply #2 on: 08/24/16, 11:22 AM »

ICYM   
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=33042.0

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
coldseagull
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 01/08/17, 07:13 AM »

When I lived in Bozeman I did some snow kiting in the big horns,crazies, and around bozeman. Super fun. Not a lot of good options in Washington. It is illegal in wilderness areas and national parks. Hard to find a place above treeline that is accessible and legal.

I've heard the fields near Waterville in eastern Washington are doable.
coldseagull
5Member

« Reply #4 on: 01/08/17, 07:33 AM »

Oh that's funny. Just clicked the link in the previous post. It's to an old thread I started. Ha. Still haven't snowkited in Washington.
peteyboy

« Reply #5 on: 01/09/17, 12:17 AM »

Coquihalla?
haggis

« Reply #6 on: 01/09/17, 08:51 AM »

Mt Baker Rec area?
coldseagull
5Member

« Reply #7 on: 01/09/17, 09:15 AM »

Mt Baker Rec area?

I haven't been there but it seems like it would be the right direction for a lot of the SW or SSW storms we get in the winter. Do you know how long the approach is to get above treeline?
flowing alpy

« Reply #8 on: 01/09/17, 10:01 AM »

N. Idaho
gravitymk

« Reply #9 on: 01/10/17, 06:22 PM »

Try NW above Wenatchee?

I hear that Keechelus Lake, near Hyak is a good spot.

Wind is not consistent at the North end of the lake.
aaron_wright

« Reply #10 on: 01/11/17, 06:30 AM »

Everyone I know that skowkites does it on the Waterville plateau. Consistent winds, smooth terrain and fairly consistent snow.
hyak.net

« Reply #11 on: 01/11/17, 05:10 PM »

Here is some real kite skiing at Alpental.   Not the type that they do these days, but kite skiing was invented by Jeff Jobe who took his first flight at Alpental in 1969. 

http://www.mammothtimes.com/content/warren-miller-jeff-jobe%E2%80%94-first-person-fly-skis

* alpental_jobe.JPG (34.09 KB, 500x356 - viewed 819 times.)
« Last Edit: 01/11/17, 05:20 PM by hyak.net » Logged
pabloson

« Reply #12 on: 01/18/17, 01:00 PM »

Best I have seen is the Soldier Mountain area near Fairfield Idaho.  A bit of a drive, but WOW.  I've been around kiting a long time here in the gorge, but was never interested until I saw kiting in Fairfield.
water
5Member

« Reply #13 on: 01/18/17, 04:41 PM »

plains of abraham mt st helens.

illegal to kiteski in wilderness? hmm... see people doing it on hood more than once.
Lowell_Skoog

« Reply #14 on: 01/18/17, 09:34 PM »

Here is some real kite skiing at Alpental.   Not the type that they do these days, but kite skiing was invented by Jeff Jobe who took his first flight at Alpental in 1969. 

http://www.mammothtimes.com/content/warren-miller-jeff-jobe%E2%80%94-first-person-fly-skis

I remember watching Jeff Jobe fly off the cliffs at Alpental back in the 1970s. I thought that the accident with the go cart took place at Alpental as well, but maybe I heard the rumor wrong.
coldseagull
5Member

« Reply #15 on: 01/19/17, 12:24 PM »

plains of abraham mt st helens.

illegal to kiteski in wilderness? hmm... see people doing it on hood more than once.

It's sort of a gray area, if you respectfully use it I bet it wouldn't be an issue.
Randy

« Reply #16 on: 05/02/17, 08:57 AM »

It's sort of a gray area, if you respectfully use it I bet it wouldn't be an issue.

Legally it isn't gray at all.  Taking off or landing any kind of aircraft within an wilderness area is illegal.  Don't be confused by the fact that the forest service doesn't have rangers out there enforcing on a regular basis.   If it becomes more common, expect more enforcement.   Fine of up to $100,000 and imprisonment of up to 12 months.

Note: Taking off outside the wilderness boundary in a paraglider or other aircraft  and then crossing the wilderness boundary while airborne, might be what you refer to as "gray". 

The wilderness act doesn't spell out the rules on this, the FAA has guidelines here:  https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC91-36d.pdf

Indicating a 2000ft buffer either along or above ground from wilderness areas and other areas.   The guidance is for "Noise generating" aircraft, so paragliders and such might reasonably conclude that it didn't apply to them. 
aaron_wright

« Reply #17 on: 05/02/17, 12:03 PM »

If the FS can't or won't enforce illegal snowmobile use in Wilderness there's probably not much danger for kites. That doesn't mean I think it's okay.
coldseagull
5Member

« Reply #18 on: 05/02/17, 12:36 PM »

Legally it isn't gray at all.  Taking off or landing any kind of aircraft within an wilderness area is illegal.  Don't be confused by the fact that the forest service doesn't have rangers out there enforcing on a regular basis.   If it becomes more common, expect more enforcement.   Fine of up to $100,000 and imprisonment of up to 12 months.

Note: Taking off outside the wilderness boundary in a paraglider or other aircraft  and then crossing the wilderness boundary while airborne, might be what you refer to as "gray". 

The wilderness act doesn't spell out the rules on this, the FAA has guidelines here:  https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC91-36d.pdf

Indicating a 2000ft buffer either along or above ground from wilderness areas and other areas.   The guidance is for "Noise generating" aircraft, so paragliders and such might reasonably conclude that it didn't apply to them. 

Kiting is not an aircraft - different from a paraglider, which is why it was a grey area in the wilderness act or up for interpretation. I think most places have revised language to specifically include ski kites in the things banned in wilderness areas, because generally people lump in kites with paragliders, etc.

Lots of threads on this topic on the various PNW kiting forums.
Randy

« Reply #19 on: 05/02/17, 09:25 PM »

Kiting is not an aircraft - different from a paraglider, which is why it was a grey area in the wilderness act or up for interpretation. I think most places have revised language to specifically include ski kites in the things banned in wilderness areas, because generally people lump in kites with paragliders, etc.

Lots of threads on this topic on the various PNW kiting forums.

Launching and landing is specifically listed as illegal.   Sail powered watercraft are also illegal in wilderness areas.  Snow kiting is illegal within wilderness boundaries.   The USFS has issued specific directives concerning this.  It isn't gray.
coldseagull
5Member

« Reply #20 on: 05/03/17, 06:38 AM »

Cool. That's why I said was grey. I had heard it had been officially banned in wilderness to get rid of any confusion, but didn't know the details. Where would someone go to look at different land boundaries, and the rules that apply to each?
KLW

« Reply #21 on: 05/03/17, 08:25 AM »

Land management boundaries are shown on most of the available mapping programs available. I like and use caltopo at caltopo.com. The drop down menu at the upper right lets you overlay all of that info on the map of your choosing. If you have a question about what is and isn't allowed I think your best bet is to contact the FS ranger station for the district in which you're looking to fly your kite.

If the method of travel you're using in the wilderness doesn't have feet or go directly on your feet then it probably isn't allowed.
coldseagull
5Member

« Reply #22 on: 05/03/17, 12:30 PM »

Thanks!
davidG

« Reply #23 on: 05/03/17, 04:39 PM »

Sail power should be allowed in Wilderness.  Thousands of years of evolutionary human use.  Flight, maybe not so much..  Glad US authorities have no regulation power over the significant amount of kiting in Antarctica..  oh wait.. 
"Article 3 states that protection of the Antarctic environment as a wilderness with aesthetic and scientific value shall be a "fundamental consideration" of activities in the area."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_on_Environmental_Protection_to_the_Antarctic_Treaty

Because nobody else is there to see it?..

"Maybe we should ban hikers from anywhere that there is a potential threat to surface water?"   [courtesy Newtrout, 2011]

"Good for you for getting it and thank goodness I wasn't there with you."  [courtesy mikerolfs, 2014]
coldseagull
5Member

« Reply #24 on: 05/04/17, 07:45 AM »

Sail power should be allowed in Wilderness.  Thousands of years of evolutionary human use.  Flight, maybe not so much.. 

Agreed (if not selfishly). But I guess they have to draw the line somewhere?... allowing kites in wilderness would open up a lot of potential spots.
Pages: [1] 2  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.