Home > Trip Reports > Aug 8, 2016, Bachelor

Aug 8, 2016, Bachelor

8/8/16
OR elsewhere
Posted by jtack on 8/11/16 12:54am
Managed to sneak in a quick ski, weather was cool and cloudy, so no views of the Sisters. Skiing was firm on top, making the first pitch spicy, but from there it was quite nice. Two short carries and I was able to ski all the way to the upper cat road. Well worth the effort if you are in the area.  I might skip the upper mountain, if it was only skiing you were after, but then you miss the nice hike, and the views.
Wow, I had no idea.  The West village web cam shows nothing but dirt and a few patches up top.

That you can't see the snow on the web cams is, in my opinion, by design.  They used to post a webcam view from the top of Sunrise.  You could see a lot more of those upper snowfields.  Bachelor seems to be systematically making it more and more difficult to ski off season.  Changing access rules, closing gates, posting ever more No Parking signs along the Cascades Lake Highway, shutting off relevant web cams, and posting warnings on the web page not to access the mountain when there was fresh snow fall in the Fall.  To bad!  Used to be a great for off season turns.

author=snojones link=topic=36774.msg149851#msg149851 date=1472883426]
That you can't see the snow on the web cams is, in my opinion, by design.  They used to post a webcam view from the top of Sunrise.  You could see a lot more of those upper snowfields.  Bachelor seems to be systematically making it more and more difficult to ski off season.  Changing access rules, closing gates, posting ever more No Parking signs along the Cascades Lake Highway, shutting off relevant web cams, and posting warnings on the web page not to access the mountain when there was fresh snow fall in the Fall.  To bad!  Used to be a great for off season turns.

All in the name of rules that are probably in favor of preservation of life.  Too many rules these days and too much preservation of life in yet a society that is ever becoming more isolated and hostile towards each other.  I like the good old days when if someone decided to be a reckless abandonment, have at it.  I figure if you've got no one to leave behind, might as well take as many risks and live life to the fullest!  Soon the population will be over 10 billion, and yet there will be so many rules that one will have to have a license to just be able to walk.

Reply to this TR

aug-8-2016-bachelor
jtack
2016-08-11 07:54:12